Professional dry clean only on clothes label help

Options
Hello

New to the forums but have been a long time moneysaver

Have recently purchased some new clothes, a waistcoat and two pairs of trousers, only to find that the washing instructions labels say 'professiona dry clean only'

I bought them from the clearance section of the site for £7, £15 and £8, so the cost of dry cleaning any one item once would cost more than the clothes themselves, with dry cleaning costing about £10 per item on average

Just wanted to know if anyone could advise as to whether putting these in on a cold was on a 20 minute cycle would spoil the clothes?

I collected on 15th April but have worn the waistcoat and one of the pairs of trousers, so would be questionable taking them back

Never encountered this problem as am new to the world of formal clothing. Althernatively is there another way that they could be cleaned so that I could get to keep them without breaking the bank or wrecking the garments when they need to be cleaned? Many thanks to anyone who can help!

Comments

• flo22
    flo22 Posts: 344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The top label has wool in it so that is the more risky one washing but I would put them in wash on a 30 degree wool wash with a low spin speed.  Remove shake and hang. 

They put dry clean only one because you wash at your own risk.
    30+ years working in banking
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     I always machine wash dry clean only clothes. Do as the poster above says and they should be fine 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The waist coat is going to be the highest risk one as its likely partially structured given it has a "inner lining", given the 3 layers are 3 different materials its likely they'll react differently and so distort. 

Does the waistcoat actually need washing? It's presumably not had skin contact and it's not generally in the smelliest parts of a person. For suit jackets which have even more extreme issues of layers spot clean vastly more often than wash or dry clean but then then they are mainly pure wool so doesn't hold smells much anyway. 

The trousers are more likely to get away with washing, use a wool wash or handwash. Dont wring them, lay them flat to dry and pull them gently back into shape when laying them out to try. 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    My wife once made the mistake of machine washing an item which stated 'dry clean only'.  The outer fabric shrunk and the lining didn't making the item unwearable.  It is a risk.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's usually OK just to wash them as normal - but not always! Considering what you paid for them it's definitely worth a try.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd agree that it's probably only the trousers that you'll be able to get away with washing. I'd wash them inside out on a cool wash, spin lightly and dry outdoors if possible. Then iron them inside out too with just a quick finish on the outside to get the shape back. 

For the waistcoat and jacket then just keep on top of any marks by wiping carefully with a damp cloth. Let them air well after use so they stay fresh. 

I'm sure you'll get your moneys worth. 
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've no idea if these still exist, but many (many !) years ago when I was a kid, the local laundrette had one washing machine that used dry cleaning fluid rather than water.  So it was to all intents and purposes just like a bog-standard washing machine, but it didn't use water.  You put your 50p in the slot as normal and off it went.
    I'm guessing these are probably not allowed now due to 'elf & safety nonsense ??  No idea, just thought I'd put it out there.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with those saying it's probably worth the risk. Keep the wash cool and gentle, and dry them as gently as possible too - no tumble dryer. Line dry or use an airer, with the tailored items on hangers to keep the shape.

In the 'olden days' clothes care used to include more than it does now, and some of their methods are worth using as they reduce wear and tear on clothing, and on the planet and your purse as well. Give the item a shake when you take it off, to get rid of loose dirt and also help it fall back into its natural shape. Hang it on a hanger overnight, and the next day (or when you get round to it ;) ), check how it looks and smells. You can spot-clean or use a clothes brush for some marks. That said, the standard advice for known stains holds good: treat them ASAP.

It may be worth popping over to the Fashion on the Ration thread if you are interested in clothes care, as there are some knowledgeable people there.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • CGeazy
    CGeazy Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    flo22 said:
    The top label has wool in it so that is the more risky one washing but I would put them in wash on a 30 degree wool wash with a low spin speed.  Remove shake and hang. 

They put dry clean only one because you wash at your own risk.

Many thanks for all of the responses. You are all very helpful

It is the waistcoat that is the top image, with the 3 layers, as you say. I did wonder mostly about that one, as it would be tricky to decide on how to approach ironing it with all the different layers. I was thinking of putting that one in a cold wash for 20 mins and hoping for the best

With regards to ironing then, just iron as you would do any other trousers (or waistcoats)?

I thought it might say that on it to cover themselves, but thought there would also be ways to minimise the risk of ruining the clothes as well. Will be aware next time I buy from Next clearance :s

• CGeazy
    CGeazy Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I agree with those saying it's probably worth the risk. Keep the wash cool and gentle, and dry them as gently as possible too - no tumble dryer. Line dry or use an airer, with the tailored items on hangers to keep the shape.

In the 'olden days' clothes care used to include more than it does now, and some of their methods are worth using as they reduce wear and tear on clothing, and on the planet and your purse as well. Give the item a shake when you take it off, to get rid of loose dirt and also help it fall back into its natural shape. Hang it on a hanger overnight, and the next day (or when you get round to it ;) ), check how it looks and smells. You can spot-clean or use a clothes brush for some marks. That said, the standard advice for known stains holds good: treat them ASAP.

It may be worth popping over to the Fashion on the Ration thread if you are interested in clothes care, as there are some knowledgeable people there.

Many thanks

I will have a look on the link and have got a heated airer (an amazing thing indeed, search Dry:Soon 3-Tier Heated Airer, I can't post links), don't own a tumble dryer

With regards to avoiding the whole wash, my anxiety is ending up with the garments having a discolouration of wear and dirtiness, as well as smell, you know when things just start to look dull and unwashed after a time. I will go with your advice. Many thanks again

Will see, and let know how I get on next week with the first pair of trousers. Cheers

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback