PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Builder set up scaffolding... then never came to do the work!

Options
Girthhitch
Girthhitch Posts: 9 Forumite
First Post
It has been over a month, I can't contact him at all, and no idea whose scaffolding it is. Am trying to sell the house and urgently need the wall fixed due to rain.

I think if I pay someone else to do it, they probably won't want to risk touching someone else's scaffolding?? What's the fastest way I can get mt urgent repairs completed???

Thank you.

Comments

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May at 9:56AM
    Options
    I read (not direct experience) that scaffolding often gets left at houses for a long time. As it costs money to store it between jobs. But, storage is free if it's at a house where a job will be, or has been, done. 

If I were in your position I would send a letter by recorded delivery saying that unless he removes the scaffolding you will have it done, and charge him for the dismantling and storage. Probably difficult to actually get the money back, but at least say it. 

I'm assuming that you have some sort of address for him. If you only have a telephone number or similar and there's scaffolding at your house, that would be ... an unusual situation. 
  • Girthhitch
    First Post
    edited 10 May at 11:12AM
    Options
    How would I know that their address is real though? Is listed on their website. I suppose I could go a knocking.
    But no, I don't generally ask for an address with a builder, perhaps that should be a standard action to obtain it.

Can anyone think of how to prevent something like this from happening again? Sometimes the big companies aren't available. This guy does have some presence, but not as much as I would normally be comfortable with.

Cheers!
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Can anyone think of how to prevent something like this from happening again?
    Check you've got real-life contact details for a builder before you employ them?

Why do you now think their address might be fake? What is it? What sort of entity are they? (limited company, sole trader, etc)
  • Girthhitch
    First Post
    Options
    user1977 said:

Check you've got real-life contact details for a builder before you employ them?

Why do you now think their address might be fake? What is it? What sort of entity are they? (limited company, sole trader, etc)

I think it may be fake, because it can be easily faked? unless on companies house?
    Ok, they are on companies house so I guess ltd companies cant lie? Still unsure what a Registered office address exactly means though, doesn't mean they live there does it?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    user1977 said:

I think it may be fake, because it can be easily faked? unless on companies house?
    Ok, they are on companies house so I guess ltd companies cant lie? Still unsure what a Registered office address exactly means though, doesn't mean they live there does it?
    You've got the details! Does it look like a residential address? (no reason why it has to be) How long established is the company? What do their accounts like like? What reviews have you seen for them?
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ltd companies can be registered at a head office, or at an accountants, or all sorts of places really. I've known little offices have 100's of companies registered there. If you write to the registered office, then the letter should get to the company, or company secretary if they have one. If it is local, I'd be tempted to call round.

Scaffolding is supposed to be checked periodically (pretty sure it's 7 days) to make sure it's still safe to use, so it is unlikely somebody would use someone else's scaffolding to work off, without at least getting it checked first. Best bet is to either track the original builder down, or see if you can get another builder in and see what they say - did you get a few quotes originally?
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Advertise "free scaffolding, must uplift" on FB Marketplace and send the builder the link :)
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Advertise "free scaffolding, must uplift" on FB Marketplace and send the builder the link :)
    Not sure how serious you are, but for the avoidance of doubt this is probably not a good idea.  Scaffolders tend to be very protective of their scaffolding - they need to be when they leave thousands of pounds worth of equipment laying around for long periods of time. Some might react somewhat ungenerously towards anyone they deem to be playing silly games with their asset.  At the more benign end of the scale they might nip round to remove a few key components and then leave the scaffold with 'unsafe to use' notices.

Assuming the builder has hired the scaffold rather than owning it himself then it is possible the builder has no interest whatsoever in getting the scaffold removed, and may not have paid for it yet.

The OP has an urgent need to get the work on their house done.  They may already have the headache of having to pay the scaffolder directly before it is removed, it would be a bigger headache if the OP got the reputation locally of being someone willing to play games with other people's assets and found nobody was willing to do they work they need done.

A better use of FB would be to ask if anyone knows the company the scaffold belongs to (typically it will have paint markings) in order to be able to go direct to the scaffolder and see whether arrangements can be made for a different builder to use it.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Section62 said: A better use of FB would be to ask if anyone knows the company the scaffold belongs to (typically it will have paint markings) in order to be able to go direct to the scaffolder and see whether arrangements can be made for a different builder to use it.
    The scaffolding I've had in the past had the company name stamped in to the metal band on the end of each wooden board. The tubes & clamps had no such markings.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 3:38PM
    Options
    Section62 said:
    Not sure how serious you are, but for the avoidance of doubt this is probably not a good idea.  Scaffolders tend to be very protective of their scaffolding - they need to be when they leave thousands of pounds worth of equipment laying around for long periods of time. Some might react somewhat ungenerously towards anyone they deem to be playing silly games with their asset.  At the more benign end of the scale they might nip round to remove a few key components and then leave the scaffold with 'unsafe to use' notices.

Assuming the builder has hired the scaffold rather than owning it himself then it is possible the builder has no interest whatsoever in getting the scaffold removed, and may not have paid for it yet.

The OP has an urgent need to get the work on their house done.  They may already have the headache of having to pay the scaffolder directly before it is removed, it would be a bigger headache if the OP got the reputation locally of being someone willing to play games with other people's assets and found nobody was willing to do they work they need done.

A better use of FB would be to ask if anyone knows the company the scaffold belongs to (typically it will have paint markings) in order to be able to go direct to the scaffolder and see whether arrangements can be made for a different builder to use it.
    Not serious - I should have added more smileys. Yes, definitely not a good idea. Unless you could post it but make it private except for the builder ... :):):)

Interesting thought experiment: At what point does it become trespass that the builder (or scaffolding company) is leaving their property on the OPs land?

Taking it to the extreme - what if it is left there for 6 months, 12 months, 2 years. At what point could the OP rightfully have the scaffolding disposed of?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback