🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Looking at buying a fire/water proof box for my will etc,any recommendations?

Options
Looking at buying a fire/water proof box for my will etc,any recommendations?
Thanks

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,010 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd only say to make sure that whatever one you buy is big enough to store A4 documents flat - the one my parents have (not sure of make) isn't quite that big, meaning wills, POAs, house deeds etc have to be folded  which both takes up more room and potentially damages important documents. 
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or store you will at the Probate Registry. Cost £20-30. 
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Confusedlad
    Confusedlad Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Agree with p00hsticks on size, but would go one further & suggest a firesafe. More expensive perhaps, but heavy (especially when it has contents), and can be fixed making it non-moveable.  No point in having something that can be easily 'nicked'.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    No point in having something that can be easily 'nicked'.
    Though easy enough to make a new Will if it does get nicked! I wouldn't get too paranoid about this stuff, it's not as if the deed has intrinsic value. At best it will make the admin a bit easier if you die in the fire/flood itself! Even then, it can be reconstituted if there was a copy somewhere else.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have my important documents stored in a small fire safe inside waterproof document wallets bought off Amazon. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Jowwie
    Jowwie Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If using a safe, don't forget to give your executor access to it  :D
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd only say to make sure that whatever one you buy is big enough to store A4 documents flat - the one my parents have (not sure of make) isn't quite that big, meaning wills, POAs, house deeds etc have to be folded  which both takes up more room and potentially damages important documents. 
    To be fair, no one should be storing original wills or house deeds at home. The best place for them is a law firm or bank safety deposit box. 

I’ve got a fireproof box that was bought as a pistol box in the US. It’s used for passports, birth certificates, sentimental stuff. Original wills and deeds are with a solicitor. Copies are in the regular safe as well as digital copies on the computer. The executor of my will also has an envelope with a copy of my will, location of safe keys, computer password, etc. 
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May at 9:02AM
    Options
    pjs493 said:
    To be fair, no one should be storing original wills or house deeds at home. The best place for them is a law firm or bank safety deposit box. 
    Unless you have one of the dwindling number of unregistered properties, the "deeds" are not of any great importance and tend to just be (out of date) copies of what was on the Land Registry at the time of the last transaction.

Bank safety deposit boxes (if you can even find any locally) only make sense for things with intrinsic value, no real point paying hundreds a year just to keep some (replaceable) documents.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure