Thejoke15 Posts: 19 Forumite
First Post
I bought my ex partner car with a debit card who’s the legal owner me or her

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Using the words “ I bought my ex partner a car”  implies it was a gift which would make her the owner. 
    Alternatively, it could have been a loan from you to her in which case she is still the owner, but she owes you some money for it.

Both of which are speculation because no one can give a useful opinion on the extremely limited information that you have shared so far. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Thejoke15
    Thejoke15 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry I didn’t explain it probably I borrowed the money from my mum paid it on her car but she says I am due nothing and I still owe my mum £16k
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you purchased the car then it is yours unless you gifted it to her. Do you have the sales receipt? If your ex id the registered keeper it does not make her the owner.  
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is this your wife that you were divorcing? If it was 16 K it’s probably something that needs to go into the shared marital asset pot anyway.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,917 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thejoke15 said:
    Whos name is on the invoice?

Who paid for it is generally irrelevant as to who the owner is which is generally the contracting party. 
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 May at 2:46PM
    Options
    elsien said:
    Is this your wife that you were divorcing? If it was 16 K it’s probably something that needs to go into the shared marital asset pot anyway.

If it's not the wife, then you need to cool your beans on the gifts for new ladies!! :)

Borrowing 16k from mum to buy your partner a car doesn't sound a great idea with hindsight.
  • cw8825
    cw8825 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    elsien said:

If it's not the wife, then you need to cool your beans on the gifts for new ladies!! :)

Borrowing 16k from mum to buy your partner a car doesn't sound a great idea with hindsight.
    To be honest it Dosent sound a great idea with foresight
  • DjangoUnchained
    DjangoUnchained Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you purchased the car then it is yours unless you gifted it to her. Do you have the sales receipt? If your ex id the registered keeper it does not make her the owner.  
    the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner. ie on the V5 it says This document is not proof of ownership.
  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 447 Forumite
    Options
    the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner. ie on the V5 it says This document is not proof of ownership.
    Erm... yeah 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,716 Forumite
    Options
    Thejoke15 said:
    One for

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/marriage-relationships-families

Not motoring...
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport