PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty

Options
Hi all, I am buying a house in the UK,  this will be my second home, however, the first home is abroad and valued at 45,500 Euros which translating at todays spot rate is below the £40k threshold for higher rate. 
My question is which exchange rate do I use, the spot at completion, an average for the month, or the HMRC currency monthly exchange rate? 

HMRC Monthly rates are published on the penultimate Thursday of every month.
They represent the exchange rate as of midday the day before publication and are intended to apply to the following calendar month.

Comments

• SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 May at 8:57PM
    Options
    MariaDL said:
    Hi all, I am buying a house in the UK,  this will be my second home, however, the first home is abroad and valued at 45,500 Euros which translating at todays spot rate is below the £40k threshold for higher rate. 
    My question is which exchange rate do I use, the spot at completion, an average for the month, or the HMRC currency monthly exchange rate? 

HMRC Monthly rates are published on the penultimate Thursday of every month.
    They represent the exchange rate as of midday the day before publication and are intended to apply to the following calendar month.
    I am assuming that the property is in England, so the relevant stamp duty is stamp duty land tax.

You need to apply the tests to the value of the property abroad in £ sterling as it is at the end of the day of the date of the completion purchase in the UK. (Finance Act 2003 / Schedule 4ZA / para 3(4).)  So I suggest you must use exchange rates at the end of the date of completion.
  • MariaDL
    MariaDL Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, yes the house I am buying is in the UK. 

For the value of the house abroad which is the one below £40k, would I use the current market value of the property or the cadastral value which is what the house is worth for tax purposes in Spain irrespective of what I paid paid for it when I initially bought it in 2018 or the current market value? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback