Planning Permission for heat pump

Options
michaels
michaels Posts: 28,075 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
The obvious place for us to fit an ASHP external unit would be on a section of flat roof to the side of our house.  This is an extension, the first floor being set back by 1m from the boundary due to planning rules.  I think we would not fail any sound pressure (noise) rules because there is a 3m drive between us and the next door property and their windows on that side are for a kitchen and bathroom that apparently don't count, the bedroom windows are on the front and back of the property so probably 5-6m from the heat pump and with no direct line of site.

Obviously though this positioning would put the heat pump closer than 1m to the boundary at a height above ground floor level so a technical breach of the planning rule design criteria.

Has anyone any experience of how planning departments treat heat pump applications?  Thanks
I think....

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think a lot depends on where you live and what your council planning department policy is. 

There is a significant amount of inconsistency between councils, some apply rules rigidly and others might be a bit more flexible and apply a bit of common sense.   

You really need to find out what your council's attitude is rather than what happens somewhere else in the country.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 May at 5:50PM
    Options
    But before you consider mount the unit on a flat roof, a few points to consider -
    Servicing - It needs safe access, which could mean barriers/handrails around the pump.
    Is the roof strong enough to take the extra weight.
    Roof covering - Flat roof materials have a limited lifespan. Walking around on the can reduce that. Then when the roof needs recovering, how are you going to ensure the roofing material is fitted under the pump correctly.
    Noise - A flat roof is going to act like a sound board, and you will get elevated noise in the room(s) below. Whilst the noise levels may be acceptable to you, the next owner could well curse you for it.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • michaels
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    But before you consider mount the unit on a flat roof, a few points to consider -
    Servicing - It needs safe access, which could mean barriers/handrails around the pump.
    Is the roof strong enough to take the extra weight.
    Roof covering - Flat roof materials have a limited lifespan. Walking around on the can reduce that. Then when the roof needs recovering, how are you going to ensure the roofing material is fitted under the pump correctly.
    Noise - A flat roof is going to act like a sound board, and you will get elevated noise in the room(s) below. Whilst the noise levels may be acceptable to you, the next owner could well curse you for it.
    Thanks, worth bearing in mind.  Alternative location requires a 9m pipe run (and then another 6m to the hot water tank...  It is over the garage so sound should not be a problem.  Not sure on the strength of the joists - suspect they are 8 by 2s at 40cm but obviously only about 1m long.  There is then an RSJ which you would hope could cope with an extra 200kg.
    I think....
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look at your council's planning decisions on their website. You can usually filter by key words to see just heat pumps. This will give you a good idea how tough they are.
    koru
  • michaels
    Options
    koru said:
    Have a look at your council's planning decisions on their website. You can usually filter by key words to see just heat pumps. This will give you a good idea how tough they are.
    Good idea :)
    I think....
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    koru said:
    I'm waiting on a decision (noise) from my local council and tried the above method. Unfortunately all except 4 are commercial properties. The 4 domestic properties are people who needed 2 outdoor units on large, fairly remote, rural houses. It seems my decision will be setting a precedent.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 May at 11:08AM
    Options
    Looks like the government is currently consulting on changes to Permitted Development rights which should make it easier to install a heat pump. Scrapping the 1m rule as well as tweaking the MCS noise levels are both being suggested - https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/changes-to-various-permitted-development-rights-consultation/changes-to-various-permitted-development-rights-consultation#changes-to-the-permitted-development-right-for-air-source-heat-pumps-within-the-curtilage-of-domestic-buildings

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    Looks like the government is currently consulting on changes to Permitted Development rights which should make it easier to install a heat pump. Scrapping the 1m rule as well as tweaking the MCS noise levels are both being suggested - https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/changes-to-various-permitted-development-rights-consultation/changes-to-various-permitted-development-rights-consultation#changes-to-the-permitted-development-right-for-air-source-heat-pumps-within-the-curtilage-of-domestic-buildings

I live in a 4 bed detached, if I can't get a heat pump, there's no hope at all for a semi or terraced house. These rules need changing quickly and the consultations are taking way too long.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • michaels
    Options
    Thing is anything that smacks of planning relaxation is anathema to traditional Tory voters so I can't see anything even being proposed this side of the GE.
    I think....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure