Car Insurance Ombudsman protection limited?

Options
Hi,
My car was damaged by another driver while partked outside my house. The other driver accepted fault and their insurance company (Admiral) arranged for the repair.

The repair took several attempts and a couple of months. When it was finally returned to me late one evening it appeared OK. In the light of day it was obvious that the paint job they did on my bumper was a very poor match. I complained to Admiral and they dismissed it. They said that the bumper was a poor match before they took it away (yes they really said this in writing) and would take no actionand the matter was cliosed and I shoud raise it with the Ombudsman if I was unhappy. I did so.

A month later, the ombudsman said that Admiral rejected his request as I ws not an Admiral customer and out of the ombudsman jusrisdiction.

Any advice? Is this known insurance dodge? Do I have any other recourse? Woud I be better to never accept a third party insurance offer to repair damage and always insist on my own insurer?

Cheers

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds like you have discovered a flaw in the system.  Personally I always go through my own insurance company, who are then responsible for sorting the issue and for recovering funds from the third party.
    If the Ombudsman can't help you and you have accepted Admiral's offer in full & final settlement, then I don't think there's anything futher you can do.

• BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mark_d said:

It sounds like you have discovered a flaw in the system

seany_mor said:
    Is this known insurance dodge? 

It's not a flaw or a dodge - it's how the system works.  The Ombudsman exists to make sure that companies deal fairly with their customers.  You're not a customer of someone else's insurer.

If you look through the posts on here, lack of FOS coverage is always pointed out as a risk of going with the third party insurer.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I complained to Admiral and they dismissed it. They said that the bumper was a poor match before they took it away (yes they really said this in writing) and would take no actionand the matter was cliosed and I shoud raise it with the Ombudsman if I was unhappy. I did so.
    They would have before and after photos.  So, they should be in a position to say that with the evidence to back it up.

A month later, the ombudsman said that Admiral rejected his request as I ws not an Admiral customer and out of the ombudsman jusrisdiction.
    It is one of the risks of not using your own insurer.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback