PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling my house to give money to my grandchildren

Options
I’m a 69 year old man in good health but am thinking of selling my house and giving most of the money to put in trust for my four grandchildren. I’m thinking of just renting for the rest of my life whatever long that may be I don’t know. 
Is this a wise move??
hohn

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is your grandchildren's need for the money greater than your need for secure housing?
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If your planning to claim UC for your rent they might very well see this as deprivation of assets. How do you plan to fund your rent? 
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,945 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If your planning to claim UC for your rent they might very well see this as deprivation of assets. How do you plan to fund your rent? 
    UC isn't an issue as that's a working age benefit and OP says they are 69. 
    For those above State Pension Age potentially available benefits would be Pension Credit and/or housing Benefit, but as you say, both are means tested and DWP / Local Authority may well refuse to award these on the grounds that OP has deliberately deprived themselves of assets. 
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Options
    UC isn't an issue as that's a working age benefit and OP says they are 69. 
    For those above State Pension Age potentially available benefits would be Pension Credit and/or housing Benefit, but as you say, both are means tested and DWP / Local Authority may well refuse to award these on the grounds that OP has deliberately deprived themselves of assets. 
    Good catch! Yes, I basically meant if you want the government to fund the rent they are going to ask where the proceeds from the house sale are - at which point they likely will refuse to pay out due to intentionally depriving yourself of the money 
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve by doing this?  If all you want to do is leave the proceeds from your house to your grandchildren, then why not do this via a will?
    Potentially there might be a way of gifting the property to your grandchildren conditional up on you being able to rent the house (or an annex) for the rest of your life.
    Wasting hundreds per month, paying rent to some landlord, doesn't make much sense.  If you have plenty of spare income, perhaps you could sponsor your grandchildren through university

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ghdman said:
    I’m a 69 year old man in good health but am thinking of selling my house and giving most of the money to put in trust for my four grandchildren. I’m thinking of just renting for the rest of my life whatever long that may be I don’t know. 
    Is this a wise move??
    hohn
    What are you incomes? How do they increase over time? If you live 40 years could you afford rent increasing at RPI for that duration plus utilities, food etc?

You obviously cannot give your assets/money to family and then look to the State/tax payers to cover future short falls. 
  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    ghdman said:
    Is this a wise move??
    hohn
    You want the money put in trust so presumably your grandchildren aren’t old enough to need the money for something like a house deposit or help with university fees. Why not write a will leaving your house to your grandchildren or do you think this is some kind of clever wheeze to avoid potential care home costs in the future? 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is it a wise move? Almost certainly not. Presumably you don’t have other major assets otherwise you would not have come up with such a mad plan. 
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nah.  Young kids growing up knowing there's a big bag of loot coming to them  ( they'll find out, they'll find out - if only ... ? why's grandad in that pokey flat and short of money ?)  will get complacent and lazy (ish, mainly, for most).

IMHO a terrible thing to do. 

Artful, 8 grandkids, 3 sons...
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,688 Forumite
    edited 9 May at 4:39PM
    Options
    My guess is that the OP wants to remove the money/property value from his Estate and thus avoid potential Inheritance Tax.
    Given that he says he can afford to rent for the remainder of his life, either he has considerable savings (hence IHT is a genuine consideration) or considerable pension income.
    Certainly it's worth looking at putting cash into a Trust, or perhaps a Life Policy that pays out to Trustees (eg his children) on his death.
    The biggest downside to this plan is the insecurity that comes with renting.
    The Gov seems to be back-tracking on the removal of S21, but even if S21 IS removed, there will still be circumstances allowing a landlord to evict (cf Scotland where sale of the property permits eviction).
    The risk of eviction, at age 70 or whenever, is not to be taken lightly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback