PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dealing with Estate Agents

Options
I get they don't want to waste their time with timewasters but they all seem to ask your current position before they'll agree to a viewing.....

Our house is on the market, had a few offers, its likely to sell very soon. I just don't want to tell the Estate Agents that its not actually sold yet in case they lose interest a bit.

What do most people do? I'm tempted to say yes its sold.

Comments

• GrannyKate
    GrannyKate Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am downsizing and have a viewer tomorrow - my first after 7 weeks on market.  I am honest with other agents when asking to view properties.  A couple of times I have been asked to hold off a couple of weeks when they had potential viable offer or sale stc but they have been happy for me to view if that fell through.  I have only viewed where I am sure it meets my criteria and this has enabled me to narrow down my area and needs so that I can move quickly if my property gets an offer.  The EAs are aware that I will not be seeking a mortgage which may make me a more attractive proposition. 
    2024 Decluttering Campaign 579/2024 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️
    2024 Weight loss target 0/28 lbs
    2024 1p challenge 131/366 days Total £121.92

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    With one estate agent recently in order to view a property I had to provide written proof of funds before even getting a viewing. It was a property I really wanted to see - so complied - but felt incredibly over the top just to get a viewing. It turned out I didn't like the property as much as I thought though.

Some areas seem to have fairly fast moving property within certain price brackets - so I know they want people that are absolutely 'ready to move'.

If something isn't shifting - they'll likely offer you a viewing no matter what - but if the property is deemed such that it's just going to fly off the shelf, then they'll likely be more stringent in terms of who views. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • bertiebb_2
    bertiebb_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With one estate agent recently in order to view a property I had to provide written proof of funds before even getting a viewing. It was a property I really wanted to see - so complied - but felt incredibly over the top just to get a viewing. It turned out I didn't like the property as much as I thought though.

Some areas seem to have fairly fast moving property within certain price brackets - so I know they want people that are absolutely 'ready to move'.

If something isn't shifting - they'll likely offer you a viewing no matter what - but if the property is deemed such that it's just going to fly off the shelf, then they'll likely be more stringent in terms of who views. 

I can see why they do that. A friend of mine wasted months thinking his house was sold and the buyers had not even started looking at a mortgage.

They got turned down. Apparently, the amount they had in mind was not even close to what they could get.

Why on earth do people do that? Surely you need to know what you can borrow IN ADVANCE?

Never underestimate stupidity
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Most agents I viewed with asked what my buying position was and budget, but didn’t ask for proof. My budget meant that I approaching estate agents ranging from high street agencies, to high end agencies because my budget was at the top of what you often see in high street agencies, and at the bottom of the high end agencies. 

The high end agencies asked more questions and wanted a little more detail about my buying position. I can understand that they want to be sure someone is a serious buyer and won’t want to show someone around a multi-million pound house if they aren’t in a genuine position to proceed (my budget wasn’t anywhere near this, but I suppose they’re used to asking the same questions). 

I was always honest about my position. I was often asked for my budget which I felt a little cagey about because I didn’t want this to be used against me in negotiations, but in the end I don’t think it did. Potentially because the house I’m in the process of buying needs a lot of work doing to it and I’m a cash buyer so they won’t expect me to spend all my money on a property. 

I gave my top end budget, but explained it would have to be a dream home for me to go that high. That did result in one high end agency trying to persuade me to view houses above that limit, and houses that didn’t tick all the boxes. For example they wanted me to view a town house that I’d previously explained wasn’t suitable because I’ve got two small children, and they also showed me around a lovely house, but it didn’t have the parking I needed for all of my vehicles so if I’d known that in advance I wouldn’t have agreed to the viewing. That viewing happened because they called me between viewings, said it was just new to the market, and did I want to view it. As I was driving I could only go off what they told me on the phone, headed straight to the house, and couldn’t check my email until I was there. 
  • cymruchris
    Options

I can see why they do that. A friend of mine wasted months thinking his house was sold and the buyers had not even started looking at a mortgage.

They got turned down. Apparently, the amount they had in mind was not even close to what they could get.

Why on earth do people do that? Surely you need to know what you can borrow IN ADVANCE?

Totally agree with you. Never underestimate stupidity. I'm sure that's why the criteria for viewing has been made tighter to eliminate those that are far from ready, and the dreamers.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    edited 9 May at 12:27PM
    Options
    When I was selling my unique house, after many many curiousity viewers, I eventually insisted that the EA screen all viewers to check they were proceedable.  A few still evaded the question.

I went to auction in the end as I wanted an end to the stream of muddy feet and feedback of 'too much work' - and the lovely young girl doing the viewings excitedly told me one of the viewers 'liked the house so much she said she was going to put her house on the market straight away'?  I thought all auction viewers were supposed to have the money already!  

£216 saved 24 October 2014
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    When selling I did learn that offers from 'cash' buyers was also a flexible term.  I had an offer from a cash buyer, everyone said I'd have to 'move quickly' so I sold my beautiful  hugeTetrad sofa for peanuts.  Cash buyer was ducking and diving for three weeks before the EA caught up with him - his ex wife had the cash in Sweden, he couldn't proceed.  I'd been positive and viewing places and lost a lovely cottage in our nearest seaside village.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Totally agree with you. Never underestimate stupidity. I'm sure that's why the criteria for viewing has been made tighter to eliminate those that are far from ready, and the dreamers.
    Probably some people just like nosying around other peoples houses, and have no intention of buying at all.
  • cymruchris
    Options

Probably some people just like nosying around other peoples houses, and have no intention of buying at all.

I heard that's quite a popular passtime....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback