Early Transfer of Fixed Rate Cash ISAs. Sensible?

Options
I've been reviewing my wife and I's cash ISAs and note that we have a few fixed-rate ISAs with low interest rates (eg, 1.2% and 2.1%).  We are obviously locked into these for a while yet, but, given the number of cash ISAs with much better interest rates around at the moment, I am thinking about ending these early and transferring the funds to a cash ISA that pays a decent rate of interest.

Obviously, we are going to take a hit in terms of lost interest (120 days for Coventry, I think) but 120 days at 1.2% will soon be offset with an ISA that pays 5% plus.

If I had £50,000 invested at 1.2%. That's £600 interest per annum.   120 days' interest is approximately one third of a year or 0.4%, so I would lose £200 interest.  £50,000 at 5% is £2,500 per annum.

Am I missing anything obvious here or is this the sensible way to go?

Comments

• sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a calculator somewhere on this website to validate your assumption. It seems the way to go.

Get a move on as there is not many providers with 5% rates.

When was your last “review” ? Rates have been greater than 5% for a good while.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • slinger2
    slinger2 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless you're very near the end of the fixed term it's pretty certain that a transfer to "a cash ISA that pays a decent rate of interest" would be a good option.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sometimes it can be a hard decision, especially with rates tending downwards, but those two rates are so poor that transferring is a no brainer
    Virgin are offering 5.05% presently
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    1.2% and 2 % is very low, so most probably worthwhile transferring, assuming that there is still a while to run on them. However double check first the interest penalty period.

I've been reviewing my wife and I's cash ISAs and note that we have a few fixed-rate ISAs with low interest rates (eg, 1.2% and 2.1%).  

I would politely suggest you check more regularly in future, as rates have been more around 5% for some time now.

• friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills