🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Octopus Energy Deal Breaker

Options
Saint_2008
Saint_2008 Posts: 8 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Morning all, I've been in a constant battle these last 2 months with Octopus energy, Everything has been great until this point with them and I've been with them since the start almost. 

My Bill was quite high with Octopus, While I was in IVA, and had only one income in the family during the energy crisis it got quite high, Octopus understood that I agreed I'd pay £100 above my monthly bill which was around £350 a month. My Bill was originally just under £4000. and it is currently sitting at around £2200. it would have been less if it wasn't for them being a bit cheeky and trying to charge the full amount of £2200, to bring my account up to date. I get nowhere near this as a single wage a month.

I contacted them in April and spoke to them and the person on the phone, said they understood and changed me back to a fixed direct debit instead of a variable, This month again I tried to change the full amount outstanding, so I've sent an email and the reply was we want the full amount basically as you missed 2 payments. I've only missed 2 payments due to them charging me the full amount. So I called again to try and explain again over the phone but got told the person who wrote the email didn't want to talk to me. 

What am I supposed to do other than cancel my direct debit and try to pay it manually each month? 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    While it was? their error to charge the full amount. Did you not think to make a manual payment instead while talking to them & the DD being changed by them, which would mean no payment being taken that month.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Saint_2008
    Options
    No, because when I checked my bank account it still said the direct debit was pending for the original amount of £350 so to me the applied for the full amount got declined then went for the £350 instead. Same again this month. if I click on direct debit history it looks like it has been paid. But I can't see this amount on my account with Octopus so they say it wasn't paid. 
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Provide them with the proof that the DD went - once you have double checked your bank statement to be absolutely sure that it did (although presumably you would have the extra money in the account if it had not been taken) - and ask them to make efforts to find your money, and apply it to your account. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Saint_2008
    Options
    They confirmed they received it and just want an additional payment of the remaining balance at the same time so my monthly agreement is £350 a month I use around £250 a month so they taking the £350 then trying to take the £ Just over £2000 to clear the account. They have been back in touch today as the DD now cancelled and said they confirmed my payments are coming through and they can see the manual payment I've made today. and my account was indeed coming down. Just want the direct debit as verbile not fixed. annoying as that is for me. 
  • TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry, it’s not quite clear from your posts, but have you asked for the variable direct debit or are you saying Octopus has been trying to put you on a variable DD against your wishes?
    Moo…
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 May at 10:55PM
    Options
    I can’t see how it will work to move to a variable DD while you have debt on your account if I’m honest. It’s designed to pay your full bill each month - so the system will be expecting that initial payment to clear the whole amount outstanding.  Just set your monthly DD amount to £350 if that’s what you want to pay - why is that a problem? 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 May at 8:40AM
    Options
    Its confusing as seems to be mistakes in your first post, but DD's can take a while to appear on Octopus, they dont show it until its cleared on their systems, not the date they issue the payment request.

If you on variable DD, they will of course attempt to clear your balance, so if the balance is £2000 then the DD will be for £2000.  If you cant afford to clear the balance in one payment then you will need to be on an alternative payment plan.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 May at 12:47PM
    Options
    I think this is all getting a bit messy and you need to talk to your debt advisor or say Citizens advice etc

As you are in large debit / debt - Octopus are legally allowed to block any attempt to transfer away - you have to resolve the debt issue with them.

You might want to post on the debt section of the forum as its really not a simple energy matter.

In general though only annualised DD has any form or rolling debit / credit - monthly variable direct debit and standard credit (current cap 6% more expensive) both normally expect full balance payment by due date.

Not sure what you meant by and who was wanting it

Just want the direct debit as verbile not fixed. annoying as that is for me. 
    But I could interpret that as Octopus putting you on monthly variable - and so will again demand the full  £2000.  And does "annoying" rather than "impossible / unaffordable"  mean you can now afford to pay the £2000 ?

It's really confusing above who was switching to / from variable and or annualised DD and why suddenly jumping from the £350 to over £2000..

Have they -  Octopus said the £100 extra per month deal is now over  - given you have nearly halved the debt - that might be a faster recovery rate than any debt plan a court may impose (unless you would be judged to be able to afford to pay more)  - was that original agreement for instance time limited to say 2 years ?

[My mum's supplier allowed a smaller debt c£600 (bad estimates but they had and ignored years of actual readings) to be rolled over 12 months DD - any longer they said meant pursuing as a debt plan with credit file markers, another recent post said they were given 2 years to clear such a catch up debit on DD by their supplier.]

Would a debt repayment plan seperate out the remaining  £2000 from the ongoing £250 usage etc but then of course likely to come with new credit file complications. But then stable payments for energy and historic debt.

Switching away from DD by cancelling - so to more expensive  standard credit rates (6% higher cap) might be the only way of stopping them lifting an excessive amount at one go (to avoid issues with overdraft charges or other missed bills)  - but it might also accelerate formal debt recovery actions by supplier.

Worried the 2 months they perceived as missed and fact your normal advisor not speaking to you are not good signs. Do Octopus have different teams they escalate through or go direct to external once reach their trigger point ? 

In short you need to keep speaking to Octopus - or have a debt advisor do it for you or with you.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure