Will a "key cover" claim cost me money?!

Options

Somehow one of my car keys managed go through a wash and no longer works as it should. I have another key and the "broken" key does still work a manual key so I thought I'd just use the other and keep this one as the spare - but I had an e-mail last night basically saying I have key cover and in the list of things it covers is accidental damage. 

The e-mail and their site state "Don't worry, a key claim won’t show as a claim and won’t impact your No Claims Discount on your main motor policy."

It all sort of sounds bit too good to be true that I can get it replaced and it cost me nothing? I searched the forums to try to find if this was asked before and a few people have said to avoid 1st Central, who I am insured with, because they’re screw you any way they can! (Although that’s probably said about all insurance companies?!)

So does anyone know if I put a key claim through will it cost me somewhere else somehow?! If there’s no benefit to them why would they e-mail to tell me about it?!

I don’t think this is really relevant but just in case anyone wondered why it needs replacing:

Although it does work as a manual key there is no key hole in the drivers door, boot or fuel filler cap – so I have to get in through the passenger door and lean across to access the drivers door – then hold the lock button on the dash to lock the car. The button on the dash only locks/unlocks the 2 front doors so I’m, not sure how I’d put fuel in it if I lost the other key. The cap release can be access from the boot so I assumed I’d have to climb through the car, release the boot from the inside, then go around, remove the carpet wall to the boot and release the filler cap from there – not impossible but not something I fancy doing on a forecourt on a regular basis! 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Zbubuman
    Zbubuman Posts: 72 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Haven't dealt with motor insurance for a while now, but my understanding was that Key Cover was a standalone product that people purchased as an optional extra along with their motor policy. Therefore, any claims on the key cover product should not reflect on the main policy. 

You should have been provided with a booklet or leaflet about the key cover, if not ask 1st central for a copy. Also double check if there is a policy excess involved ( might be none or something nominal like £25)
  • hawest543
    hawest543 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, for some reaosn I looked round on-line quite a bit but didn't think to check my policy documents - I've had a quick look and I still can't make it clear from what I've read so far, but I'll have a proper look through when I have more time!
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Zbubuman said:
    Haven't dealt with motor insurance for a while now, but my understanding was that Key Cover was a standalone product that people purchased as an optional extra along with their motor policy. Therefore, any claims on the key cover product should not reflect on the main policy. 

You should have been provided with a booklet or leaflet about the key cover, if not ask 1st central for a copy. Also double check if there is a policy excess involved ( might be none or something nominal like £25)
    It will depend, DL for example have Key Cover as a sub section of Theft and AD sections whereas other sell it as a standalone coverage. 

If it counts as a claim against the main policy will depend if its part of the main policy or not and if it is then if there are any special provisions (like there often are for glass only claims). There is however the second problem... when you buy insurance you are asked to inform them of any losses you've sustained in relation to motorvehicles irrespective if you claimed or not and irrespective of who was at fault. 

Now, let's be honest, many people "forget" to mention the very minor things that happen that they sort out from their own pocket. If however you claim from any form of insurance then you start creating formal records of the loss which potentially could be shared with other insurers etc and so your risks of deciding to "forget" to mention it escalate. 

Now if the current broker states that for them it won't impact your main policy/won't be declarable as a loss then thats fine, but it only applies to them. If you decide to leave them then it will be up to your next broker/insurer to decide how they interpret your past claim. 

I dont know if it still does but Hiscox's Home Insurance used to include "hole in one" cover - covered your bar bill if you score a hole in one at golf and follow the tradition of buying the whole club house a round of drinks. For them it didnt count as a claim in the following years but try speaking to Churchill or Admiral etc about how you classify a Hole in One claim when their systems want it categorised as Storm, Fire, Flood etc
  • hawest543
    hawest543 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks @DullGreyGuy

I can't tell from my policy documents if it's seperate policy or not. It's definitly not an optional extra, as in you get it with the policy if you like it or not. But it seems like it is underwitten by a differnt company?

Either way it seems like it propbaby isn't worth the faf if it could cause me issues at renewal time!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback