Name not on Deeds - Scotland

Options
Hi. Trying to get our affairs in order, and have read conflicting information. 

We live in Scotland. Husband bought our house about 5 years before we met. Now been together for 20 years, married for 17. 
We have never bothered to add my name to the deeds, mortgage remains in husbands name and he pays. ( I cover utility bills, shopping, insurance etc). Where would I stand if the worst happened? He has a son from previous relationship and I want to make sure, that our son and I would be safe? 

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Has your husband made a will? 
  • Deenport
    Deenport Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not yet, we have one of those DIY packs, still to be completed though. 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Deenport said:
    Throw that away and make an appointment with a solicitor this is too important to DIY, especially with a son from a previous relationship involved and the added complications that come with living under Scottish inheritance law, 
  • Deenport
    Options
    Deenport said:
    Throw that away and make an appointment with a solicitor this is too important to DIY, especially with a son from a previous relationship involved and the added complications that come with living under Scottish inheritance law, 
    So, it’s not cut and dry that i automatically inherit the house? 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Deenport said:
    Deenport said:
    So, it’s not cut and dry that i automatically inherit the house? 
    It depends on the value of the property. Intestacy is a little complicated in Scotland and your husband would be extremely foolish not to make a will. For instance if the house was worth £400k and he had no other assets, his son would not inherit anything if he died first, but a will could give you the right to live out your days in the house and then form an inheritance for his two sons after your death.

• Deenport
    Options
    Thank you. We will arrange a solicitor asap. Much appreciated 
  • buddy9
    buddy9 Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

As advised, I recommend you do not use a will kit in Scotland.

The Scottish intestacy rules changed this month so the Gazette article is not totally accurate.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Deenport said:

We live in Scotland. Husband bought our house about 5 years before we met. Now been together for 20 years, married for 17. 
    We have never bothered to add my name to the deeds, mortgage remains in husbands name and he pays. ( I cover utility bills, shopping, insurance etc). Where would I stand if the worst happened? He has a son from previous relationship and I want to make sure, that our son and I would be safe? 
    He has a son from previous relationship and I want to make sure, that our son and I would be safe? 

What does your husband want to happen?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Deenport said:
    This will be insufficient in the majority of cases.  See a solicitor and get it done properly.  
  • Deenport
    Options
    sheramber said:
    Deenport said:

He has a son from previous relationship and I want to make sure, that our son and I would be safe? 

What does your husband want to happen?
    Exactly the same thing. I would not be asking otherwise. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback