Best for spending in Usa

Options
washedupandout
washedupandout Posts: 13 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I last visited USA 6 years ago prior to Covid.

The world has changed since then and Whilst planning a trip to the USA later this year it occurred to me that the USA will have changed from cash in the pocket to cards in the pocket.
my question is in this country we now tend to use cards as an everyday occurrence and carry very little to no cash on a daily basis however this could prove expenses in the USA unless your card is in dollars.

What advice would you give with regards to how much cash to take in relation to money available on cards and also which cards this is all rather confusing now. previously I would have about half and half taking cash with me for immediate spending and small items with the rest available on my debit card to be withdrawn as cash at intervals during the holiday with the credit card in sterling for emergencies however I don’t think this will work very well now. Which ratio and which cards would you suggest.

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We take a maximum of $50 in cash when I go to the US these days.

Have a Halifax Clarity credit cards for most spends which uses the spot rate and does not charge a fee for purchases. If I do need cash then I have a Chase debit card which means no ATM fees in their branches and again at spot rate.

I have credit and debit cards on both Visa and Mastercard to protect against any failures on their systems as an extra backup. I do also have a money card which has been kept from years ago when they were useful, but it is a total backup these days.
  • On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    exactly as @400ixl above. 
    I’ll add that i usually withdraw about $100 from an ATM in the US which typically lasts me 3-5 trips. 

Nothing much seems to have changed in the USA since Covid except that chip & pin is slowly being adopted & filling stations are less hostile to foreign credit cards.  
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    washedupandout said:
    we now tend to use cards as an everyday occurrence and carry very little to no cash on a daily basis however this could prove expenses in the USA unless your card is in dollars.
    Or you have one of the fairly long list of FX fee free cards - debit or credit. 

Starling and Chase debit cards are good starting points, the later in particular for the US
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    Options
    The one thing that I noted was that 20% as become the norm for tipping and some places print suggested percentages on bills.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,588 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    USA is a big place!

In major cities contactless is widespread, but can be a pain if restaurants don't have wireless payment terminals. You need to wait for a bill, sign it then go and pay at the till.

Out in the wilds of Nebraska or Wyoming may be a different story and cash could still be king.
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    gwynlas said:
    The one thing that I noted was that 20% as become the norm for tipping and some places print suggested percentages on bills.
    Indeed. However if you use a card to pay the bill they take your card and the bill, then bring it back having debited the card and then leave the stub blank for you to write your tip amount in which they will then debit the same card again. At least that's the theory, but it doesn't work with UK cards, so you can write however much you like but it won't ever get debited. US cards are different and they allow it but UK ones don't.

So if you want to leave a tip then make sure you have cash. 
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jimi_man said: it doesn't work with UK cards
    It does work with UK cards (credit, debit and prepaid).

I have done it countless times in the US for many years

Typically there will be a hold for the original amount and then a few days later that will drop off and be replaced with a new amount including tip.
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    HogMan said:
    jimi_man said: it doesn't work with UK cards
    It does work with UK cards (credit, debit and prepaid).

I have done it countless times in the US for many years

Typically there will be a hold for the original amount and then a few days later that will drop off and be replaced with a new amount including tip.
    I tried it every day in New York in January with my Monzo and my Revolut card and both of my wife's cards. I left some substantial tips to test the theory in restaurants and bars and none of them ever came out. My son goes to the US about 2-3 times a month and has never had a tip taken off his Monzo. 

It's fairly common knowledge with Monzo at least, something to do with charging it twice and UK banks not allowing it. Lots of people have experienced the same problem.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A Chase UK debit card is often quoted as a good choice for the USA.
    They are a "major league" bank in America with a widespread network of branches and ATMs - so no commission fee for withdrawing cash - or using to pay at restaurants etc.
    I expect there will be forum members hereabouts who have experience of using the card there ?
    Or their UK customer service staff are excellent at answering enquiries - tel. 0800-376-3333.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chase is now my default debit card for the USA. 

As mentioned it has the advantage of being a known American brand. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback