Alternative Accommodation - is safety relevant?

Options
1122abc
1122abc Posts: 86 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 8 May at 10:28PM in Insurance & life assurance
My elderly mother is going through a home insurance claim after an escape of water. 

I have been searching for short term lets myself (several EAs have said she would not pass the affordability checks) and the insurer is presenting properties that are not like for like and in objectively dangerous areas in London or too far away from her home and social support network. 

I’m genuinely worried about her moving to a new area that she doesn’t know, where she will be a great option for a mugger or worse, with no one nearby to help her. She falls frequently when outdoors. Where she lives now she has support from several neighbours and friends who pop in. 

With the properties from the insurer, they’re annexes to other people’s homes and will be difficult for her support network to visit her to help. Also as no one knows her in the new area, what would happen if she hurt herself or got lost?

Does safety matter? She’s vulnerable and receives DLA if relevant. 

I found a like for like property in a safe, known area where she has social support but the insurer wants to keep costs down*. It seems unethical to treat a pensioner in this way.

*the insurer agreed to a monthly sum for the property and then refused after it increased by £400, she should only be out for 3-4 months, this is just an extra £1200

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    1122abc said:

Also as no one knows her in the new area, what would happen if she hurt herself or got lost?

Strangers are usually a bit more helpful than you seem to think. Yes, even in London.

How have you assessed which areas are objectively "dangerous" and "safe" ?
  • 1122abc
    edited 9 May at 8:34AM
    Options
    user1977 said:
    1122abc said:

Also as no one knows her in the new area, what would happen if she hurt herself or got lost?

Strangers are usually a bit more helpful than you seem to think. Yes, even in London.

How have you assessed which areas are objectively "dangerous" and "safe" ?
    Born and bred in London, not sure I agree 

Through living and working in those areas, very closely in the communities
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Read your policy book as it will state how claims are to be settled. 

If you dont like the options offered by the insurer you often have the option to settle by cash however the cash would reflect the price the insurer would pay via its preferred supplier which is often a mark down on what the general public would pay given the economies of scale/their buying power. 

Alternative accommodation doesn't have to be on a like for like basis but it should be suitable for the needs when factoring in the temporary nature of the arrangement. The longer its likely to last the less leeway there is... if it was a couple of weeks of a 2 adult 2 kid family moving from a 4 bed house then 2 hotel rooms or a 2 room hotel suite would be acceptable, if it was going to be for 9 months then it probably wouldn't. 

In similar situations, particularly where unofficial carers are involved, I've seen cases where a care home was used as the AA for a couple of months so the unofficial carers are replaced with professional ones but family often cite concerns that the relative will lose their independence and not be fit to live alone again afterwards. 

• 1122abc
    Options
    Read your policy book as it will state how claims are to be settled. 

If you dont like the options offered by the insurer you often have the option to settle by cash however the cash would reflect the price the insurer would pay via its preferred supplier which is often a mark down on what the general public would pay given the economies of scale/their buying power. 

Alternative accommodation doesn't have to be on a like for like basis but it should be suitable for the needs when factoring in the temporary nature of the arrangement. The longer its likely to last the less leeway there is... if it was a couple of weeks of a 2 adult 2 kid family moving from a 4 bed house then 2 hotel rooms or a 2 room hotel suite would be acceptable, if it was going to be for 9 months then it probably wouldn't. 

In similar situations, particularly where unofficial carers are involved, I've seen cases where a care home was used as the AA for a couple of months so the unofficial carers are replaced with professional ones but family often cite concerns that the relative will lose their independence and not be fit to live alone again afterwards. 

Thanks a lot for your reply, has given me some good insight! 
  • Zbubuman
    Zbubuman Posts: 69 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Coming from an insurance background. As mentioned already, insurers should take into consideration that this is an vulnerable elderly individual into consideration. I would make sure to highlight this fact to them multiple times and potentially the best option would be to check if they agree to house her temporarily in a care home. might be a bit more than they would be willing to pay, but you do have a strong argument. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback