Taking out new credit card deals

Options
Zero-point
Zero-point Posts: 14 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have 2 CC. One that I have with Barclays for 20years. My main bank is now Lloyds for some time I took out a interest free deal about 3 years ago. 

I don't have any debt on the cards. 
I'm expecting a fair amount of spending soon and thought I should take out a new deal. 

Question is what shall I do with my existing cards? What do people do that switch every 12/18/24 months. I'm thinking in terms of credit rating as well.

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,662 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you mean that you need an interest free card then I would keep the oldest card you have which is presumably Barclays as longevity does  help your credit record and apply for one assuming you no longer have any interest free period on the Lloyds one.  Once the new one is up and running you could close down Lloyds. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 May at 9:53AM
    Options
    People don't switch CC like they do a current account as there is rarely any incentive to do so plus there is no process to do so. Moving around tends to be things like AmEx where they have a free first year then close it before the second year fee kicks in

If you want spending then the forum has plenty of posts about AmEx for airmiles/points that can be converted e.g. the Sainsbury's / Nectar one which gives you effectively free shopping. There are others with straight cashback. If you didn't need S75 cover or could do something like a deposit on the card and then pay debit, you can use bank offers e.g. Chase were doing 1% cashback on their current account card

Every hard search will impact credit rating but generally not for that long, if you have more credit and use it properly you can improve your credit record despite the initial hit
  • Zero-point
    Zero-point Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry yes I meant interest free on balance transfer and new purchases. 

So keep the longest CC and close down the newest if taking another card is that right? 

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,662 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would apply for the new one before closing down one of the others.  Sometimes closing a credit card can have a negative affect but similarly having too many credit cards may also have an adverse affect.  If the Lloyds one is not serving any purpose because it is no longer interest free there is  no point in keeping it. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You only have two cards.  Personally, I would keep them both open, set them for automatic full-pay.  Use them periodically.  It all adds to a positive credit history and helps with your average account length and overal credit limits.

As for a new card, go for whatever deal benefits you the most.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback