PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour attaching gates to my wall

Options
steve1ae
steve1ae Posts: 19 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi everyone.  I was hoping for some general advice.  Our new neighbour has purchased metal gates and called earlier to let me know someone was calling out to install them.  When I went out to view them I realised that they would be attaching them to our wall.  We have been in our home for over 20 years and so far as I can tell, the wall doesn't fall within their property.

I guess I have a few questions.  Firstly, am I just being silly and or unreasonable to get a little annoyed about this?  Personally I would have asked before going to such an expense and I do have genuine concern that the wall simply isn't strong enough to support such a heavy load.

I'd rather maintain a friendly relationship with them but I really don't want them attaching the gates to our wall.

Should I just let him get on with it?  Am I legally allowed to refuse should it come to that?  Could I add some stipulations such as an inspection of the work by a third party?  

Apologies for all the questions and thank you in advance for any comments

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    usually people will put a post in their own ground to attach the gates to 
  • JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    This would probably be better answered on the Mortgages, Homes & Bills forum but 
    answer is, basically, as above

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you sure they are looking to attach to your wall and don't have a post? 
    It would be a bit weird for someone to do that without checking first, and usually the installers would ask the question.
    What was there before and how were the installed?
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    steve1ae said:
    Hi everyone.  I was hoping for some general advice.  Our new neighbour has purchased metal gates and called earlier to let me know someone was calling out to install them.  When I went out to view them I realised that they would be attaching them to our wall.  We have been in our home for over 20 years and so far as I can tell, the wall doesn't fall within their property.

I guess I have a few questions.  Firstly, am I just being silly and or unreasonable to get a little annoyed about this?  Personally I would have asked before going to such an expense and I do have genuine concern that the wall simply isn't strong enough to support such a heavy load.

I'd rather maintain a friendly relationship with them but I really don't want them attaching the gates to our wall.

Should I just let him get on with it?  Am I legally allowed to refuse should it come to that?  Could I add some stipulations such as an inspection of the work by a third party?  

Apologies for all the questions and thank you in advance for any comments
    Is this a garden wall? Will you require excess to do maintenance beyond these gates in future
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I was going to ask the same - garden wall or house wall. Also, would the hinged or latched side of the gate be attached to your wall.
    If it does get attached to your wall just make sure that the closing mechanism is secure. A gate banging back and forward in the wind can not only be noisy but could do damage to the wall.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Flugelhorn
    Options
    If it is a garden wall then worth checking whose land it actually is on 
  • Alfrescodave
    Alfrescodave Posts: 994 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pramsay13 said:

This is the question that needs answering - you've assumed that the gates will be attached to your wall and not to a post. Speak to your neighbour, if it is a wall attachment then you need to voice your concerns.
  • Flugelhorn
    edited 9 May at 9:04AM
    Options
    pramsay13 said:

This is the question that needs answering - you've assumed that the gates will be attached to your wall and not to a post. Speak to your neighbour, if it is a wall attachment then you need to voice your concerns.
    Need to say something like "nice gates - what sort of posts are you using  - they must have to be sunk quite deep in to the ground? 

Should produce an answer somehow
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure