how accurate is IMEI tracking?

Options
darto150
darto150 Posts: 39 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 8 May at 4:54PM in Mobiles
how accurate is IMEI tracking?

And also is there a website that would show me the location of my phone given the IMEI?

I tried some but they seem like scams like they try to charge me or ask me to download something.

Thanks

Comments

• PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Assuming you are based in the UK then no website you can go to will give you your devices location based on the IMEI. 

You shouldn't need to do that though as both Google and Apple offer free find my services that will show the last recorded location of your phone.

In some countries the operators sell the location of the transmitter a phone is connected to. Data protection laws prevent that in this country without  court order or for certain police purposes. 
  • Katter_Jerrold
    Options
    The IMEI code itself does not have a direct tracking function. It is just a 15-digit code that uniquely identifies the device.

However, when the phone is connected to the network, the operator can identify the device through the IMEI code and record its location information.

Therefore, the accuracy of IMEI tracking depends heavily on the accuracy of the operator's network coverage and its positioning technology accuracy.

If you would like to find a phone with IMEI, you may ask a certain phone operator for help. Of course, as we all know, the efficiency of mobile operators is quite low...

My neighbor once told me about an online phone-location-tracking platform when I lost my brand-new Samsung phone last year. The platform is called Trackmobi, if I remember correctly. You may search it on google for more information. I hadn't used it yet because I found my phone by myself underneath the backyard deck chair.

I hope my words could be helpful to you and may you find back your phone soon.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Networks can IMEI track any device that's been on their servers, but they won't share that info with you for data protection reasons.
    I worked in fraud for one of the networks, and we used it a lot.   Frontline agents don't have access to the system that performs it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback