For a BIN listing with best offer. 
How do you deal with this question?

I find it counterintuitive to state, 'lowest I will go is.......' 

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,317 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I buy and sell vintage items and antiques, ‘what’s your lowest?’ is a standard question and one sellers expect, so for a BIN I would have no issue with telling them. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 45 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I list BINs with an automatic offer acceptance of 10% less.
  • PocketWatchMan
    PocketWatchMan Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 10 May at 10:23PM
    Options
    I agree OP, it is totally counter intuitive to state your lowest price. After all, you are the seller and your job is not to negotiate on the buyer's behalf.. if you were really happy selling at (example) 40% lower, then surely you would have just listed it at that price in the first place! 

I have seen it on TV, 'what is your best price?' in the world of antiques, collectibles, and stuff, but to me surely that's a different environment, often the buyer makes some kind of effort to engage with the seller, or ask pointed questions, or show genuine interest in the item first. 

This may just be me. but in well over 25+ years on ebay, I have never, ever, ever had anybody ask this question who turned out to be a serious buyer. What they really mean, but don't have the guts to say is: 'I want this thing you've got, and I want to make a quick buck, what I really want is for you to give it to me for next to nothing..' 

You could reply with a sensible response, "My lowest price is (item price - 10%, or -15%, or something) and I would bet my vital internal organs that they will not accept at all. and probably come back with something in the region of wanting 50-60%+ discount... 
    So you could say something like: "My lowest price is probably more than what you're offering". and see what happens next.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback