Not sure if I need tv/internet packaged…can I get enough internet only but with enough to do FV TV

Options
Hi, old gal here🥴. Not up on these things. At the mo,I have the full Xl tv and internet package with Virgin (they put in hubby’s name when they took it over from telewest even though originally it was in both our names 😞) we don’t watch most of the channels ..in fact we noticed most of what we watch we could watch on free view…but I also subscribe to prime and Disney ..so we think we don’t need their package either.  Does anyone know if there is an internet provider that can give me enough internet to ditch Virgin completely but give me enough internet to run 2 iPads,a desktop pc and my lg smart tv which has my subscribed prime app and subscribed Disney app on it and it’s a freeview tv too..would be grateful for some advice as we are paying over £120 per month and are both retired and watch tv a lot 🤞🥴😀

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Looks like you are right and probably don't need a TV package. As a first step stick your postcode into the MSE broadband checker and see what's available at your location.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/compare-broadband-deals/
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you have a working UHF TV aerial that you can watch Freeview via using the TVs' own tuners?  If yes then fine.  If no that may need factoring in to the costs.

Some (but not all) freeview channels can be live streamed via their on demand players so the absolute need for an aerial may not be as imperative if you stream TV all the time.
  • SChitmehard
    SChitmehard Posts: 104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 May at 6:28AM
    Options
    You could just stick with virgin internet and cancel the TV package you don't use. That would be the easiest thing. "enough internet" depends on what quality you want to watch Prime and Disney at, what you actually want to consider is speed (as internet is unlimited data in most providers). If all you're wtahcing is 2  x 4k movies at a time then a speed of even 50Mbps is enough. 

usually need 1meg for SD content, 2 -4 meg for 720p content, 4-10meg  for 1080p content and 20meg for 4k per stream. 

Just add up how many steams you will be running at once + a little extra for other ppl in your hosehold using desktop/ipads and that should be the speed you purchase,

• Queenie2
    Queenie2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Rodders53 said:
    Do you have a working UHF TV aerial that you can watch Freeview via using the TVs' own tuners?  If yes then fine.  If no that may need factoring in to the costs.

Some (but not all) freeview channels can be live streamed via their on demand players so the absolute need for an aerial may not be as imperative if you stream TV all the time.
    Not sure…do you mean Ariel on the roof?…I think so..the guy who put it in said it was a digital Ariel ..?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No such thing as a digital aerial.

If you have an aerial on the roof and it comes in the room where the TV is and the TV has an aerial socket (and its new than about 2010) it's probably got Freeview built in so you can plug it in, rescan and Bob's your Uncle, you have Freeview.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

But ... there was about 25 (?) years ago!
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    J_B said:

But ... there was about 25 (?) years ago!

No there wasn't.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure