PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Is secondary glazing an alteration?

Options
Hi there,

I'm buying a leasehold flat. I may want to install secondary glazing or plantation shutters to improve sound insulation of the windows. But my solicitor is not sure if these will be allowed, so I'm asking here.

The lease requires landlord's consent for any non-structural alteration, and structural alteration is banned. It also prohibits changing the window panes or covering the windows other than with curtains or blinds.

Do you think secondary glazing and plantation shutters count as alteration? How likely will I be allowed to do the work? What are the window improvements that are typically allowed in a leasehold flat?

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,312 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Both would seem to come within the scope of "covering the windows other than with curtains or blinds".  It seems a rather draconian restriction.  Are you sure you are happy with the rest of the Lease?
    It will boil down to whether you want to take the risk that it will not be noticed or enforced and whether you want to deal with later potential difficulties in selling if you are perceived to be in breach.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is it a listed buildiing or in a consevation area where you cannot have double glazing? Depending on the size of the windows secondary glazing might be unobtrusive when viewed from outside and does work well in cutting down noise. Why don't you make enquiries with the freeholder before proceeding and get agreement in writing as you might regret noy doing so when resident.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,397 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    anselld said:
    Both would seem to come within the scope of "covering the windows other than with curtains or blinds".  It seems a rather draconian restriction.
    Shutters yes, but I doubt secondary glazing is what that's aimed at (or perhaps some sort of permanent alteration whereby the property loses rights to light).
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 May at 10:29AM
    Options
    okwd said:

The lease requires landlord's consent for any non-structural alteration, and structural alteration is banned. It also prohibits changing the window panes or covering the windows other than with curtains or blinds.

Do you think secondary glazing and plantation shutters count as alteration? How likely will I be allowed to do the work? What are the window improvements that are typically allowed in a leasehold flat?

From what you say, it sounds like there is an absolute prohibition in your lease. i.e. The lease says words to the effect of...
    • "You must not change the covering of the windows"
    as opposed to
    • "You must not change to covering of the windows without written consent from the landlord/freeholder"

If that's correct, the landlord cannot give you consent - i.e. the landlord cannot give you consent to breach the lease.

But some lawyers argue that The Landlord and Tenant Act 1927 gives you the right to make improvements to your property, irrelevant of any prohibitions in the lease. (But you have to describe them as "improvements" not "alterations".)

But, in any case, I doubt you want to end up at a tribunal arguing about the meaning of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927 in relation to your shutters.

To be honest, in your position, I think I'd do one of the following...

• 1) Install removable secondary double glazing - and hope that nobody notices or cares. If somebody does complain and the landlord takes enforcement action, just remove them.
    • When you sell the flat, explain the situation to the buyer; remove the secondary glazing when the valuer/surveyor visits; and leave the secondary glazing units for the buyer and they can choose whether to use them or not.

•  2) Similar with the Plantation Blinds. See if you can find ones which can be easily removed and put back (e.g. lifted off/on brackets or hinges). And see if anyone complains.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure