Tax code correct but taxed too much

Options
Bubbles_0412
Bubbles_0412 Posts: 11 Forumite
First Post
Hi guys, I'm not getting anywhere with a Google search on this, only results on how to get your tax code changed if its wrong.
Just been paid first pay from new job, only 2 weeks worth due to how their pay schedule works. I was taxed exactly 20% 
My tax code is definitely correct and I don't have any circumstances that would change anything ie benefits etc. It's the same tax code i had for my last job and that was always fine. I've done a few tax calculators which tell me I should pay approx £90 a month, I was taxed double that on 2 weeks pay. Can't really afford for this to happen again at the end of this month, any ideas why it's happened? I've contacted HR but I'm impatient and panicking. 
Thanks in advance! 

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did you hand in a P45 from your last job or do a new starter checklist form?  If not you will be taxed on all your earnings until you provide one of the two items in my first sentence.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Ferro
    Ferro Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What is the tax code on the payslip?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm not getting anywhere with a Google search on this, only results on how to get your tax code changed if its wrong.
    Just been paid first pay from new job, only 2 weeks worth due to how their pay schedule works. I was taxed exactly 20% 
    My tax code is definitely correct and I don't have any circumstances that would change anything ie benefits etc. It's the same tax code i had for my last job and that was always fine. I've done a few tax calculators which tell me I should pay approx £90 a month, I was taxed double that on 2 weeks pay. Can't really afford for this to happen again at the end of this month, any ideas why it's happened? I've contacted HR but I'm impatient and panicking. 
    Thanks in advance! 
    Sounds like you have had two jobs in the same pay period.

Your first one used all your tax code allowances and now you have been paid by the second one everything from the second job needs to be taxed at 20%.

Will you only be paid one employer in the next pay period (6 May to 5 June if monthly paid).
  • Ferro
    Ferro Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks in advance! 
    Sounds like you have had two jobs in the same pay period.

Your first one used all your tax code allowances and now you have been paid by the second one everything from the second job needs to be taxed at 20%.

Will you only be paid one employer in the next pay period (6 May to 5 June if monthly paid).
    That makes sense - most likely the case!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How much tax did you pay on your last pay from your previous job?

Was it a lesser amooun than normal?
  • Bubbles_0412
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replies, will try and answer everyone-

I can't remember what I provided in terms of P45 etc now as there was so much u had to complete/send as part of the onboarding 

I definitely didn't have 2 jobs in same pay period. My last employment ended in Sept 2023 and this job started 8th April this year.

I don't really know if what I paid during last job was normal or not...I've attached a screenshot (I hope!)

Tax code is C1257L

I hope I've answered everything so far, so in a nutshell this is my only job this tax year so I just don't understand if they tax me 20% every month I won't even get a personal allowance, which feels like emergency tax but my code is correct! 

Thanks again all for responding 😊

• Bubbles_0412
    First Post
    Options
    I did not attach the screenshot 😂 trying again 
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 May at 10:29PM
    Options
    Are you sure that the tax code appearing on your payslip for the new employer is C1257L  The tax you say you paid would appear to suggest a code of either BR or 0T.
    If definitely C1257L are there any previous pay and tax details appearing om your payslip and what is the taxable gross to date and tax paid to date figure. If there are previous pay and tax details on your payslip and you have had no taxable income or benefits this tax year it would appear that someone else's details have been put on your record. 
  • Bubbles_0412
    First Post
    Options
    chrisbur said:
    Are you sure that the tax code appearing on your payslip for the new employer is C1257L  The tax you say you paid would appear to suggest a code of either BR or 0T.
    If definitely C1257L are there any previous pay and tax details appearing om your payslip and what is the taxable gross to date and tax paid to date figure. If there are previous pay and tax details on your payslip and you have had no taxable income or benefits this tax year it would appear that someone else's details have been put on your record. 
    Hi, thanks for response. That's the only code displayed on my payslip and the only code mentioned within my gov.uk tax account. What would those other codes mean please, if they did apply to my account? Thanks 😊 
  • Bubbles_0412
    First Post
    Options
    OK sorry everyone, I've just downloaded my payslip properly and can see "0T W1" on there, which I believe is an emergency tax code.
    So with my gov.uk account showing my correct tax code, can i assume this will be rectified by my next payslip at the end of this month? Or should I still call HMRC? 
    I've tried again to attach screenshot, hopefully successfully this time! 
    So sorry if I've been a complete dunce 😭
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure