PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate rent charge vs Rent charge

Options
Can anyone please explain the difference between the two?

TIA :smile:

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you want to give a bit more context?

Are you the tenant or landlord? What's the issue you are trying to work out?
  • HeyAnon123
    HeyAnon123 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Yes, I am in the process of buying a house. It is freehold with a rent charge of £5pa. My solicitors have messed up somehow, not notifying our lender (Halifax) that the property has this rent charge until we were about to exchange contracts. Sol has since asked collector for DoV which they turned down and suggested sellers get indemnity policy. Halifax have said if the charge is a 'rent charge' and not an 'estate rent charge' they would accept the indemnity policy and we could then go forward and exchange contracts. Solicitor somehow is unsure which it is :confused:

So I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between the two to me, as I can not find much online.
  • HeyAnon123
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also, may I add that on land registry, it states 'rent charge'.

Would land registry specify an estate rent charge or would they both fall under the same bracket of rent charge?
  • john-5-2
    john-5-2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have the said rent charge on our current house, Which we have sold with an indemnity policy.  Bit of a different situation to yours i know but i will try & explain, 

For us we own the rent charges for the whole street. We bought some extra land around the house 10 years ago & these historic rentcharges came attached with it.
    We have lived in the house for 20 years & nobody has ever collected the charge before we owned the title to it.

We did have to take out an indemnity policy though to protect our buyer from anybody trying to put a Lease on the property for all the years unpaid

I do believe an estate charge is more for newer houses, Obviously depending how old your house is, I am guessing at £5 p.a it will be the rent charge not an estate charge.

Copied from Land Registry.....

A rentcharge is a sum of money, usually payable annually, that is a charge on land. A rentcharge is usually created in a conveyance or transfer. The party selling the land reserves an annual rent payable to them and their successors in title, which is charged on the land sold.

An Estate charge is more of a charge for a service &/or Maintenance like Grass cutting, Street lights, cleaning etc

I know this is not actually this question you asked but i thought it may be of interest to you some how.

• Gentoo365
    Gentoo365 Posts: 504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Yes, I am in the process of buying a house. It is freehold with a rent charge of £5pa. My solicitors have messed up somehow, not notifying our lender (Halifax) that the property has this rent charge until we were about to exchange contracts. Sol has since asked collector for DoV which they turned down and suggested sellers get indemnity policy. Halifax have said if the charge is a 'rent charge' and not an 'estate rent charge' they would accept the indemnity policy and we could then go forward and exchange contracts. Solicitor somehow is unsure which it is :confused:

So I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between the two to me, as I can not find much online.

There seems to be some confusion here as both can be 'rent charges'.

The difference in treatment depends on if it is some amount paid to a previous landowner or similar (e.g. like a kind of ground rent) for which you get nothing except the right to have a properly on the land. Or if it's a kind of service charge to pay for things the council have not adopted (or don't maintain). Like roads, parking and verges on a new build estate.

If it's the second you would be aware of a service charge, and I don't think an indemnity policy is useful at all. What the lender would want is for the management company to confirm they will not make use of their statutory rights to turn your freehold into a leasehold if you are late in paying your service charge. 

What surprises me is that Halifax care, I thought they were fine with 'estate rent charges' that are for maintenance of the grounds.
  • Gentoo365
    edited 11 May at 3:03PM
    Options
    .. removed as it is irrelevant and could cause confusion. Clarified in post below.
  • Gentoo365
    edited 11 May at 3:10PM
    Options
    Also, may I add that on land registry, it states 'rent charge'.

Would land registry specify an estate rent charge or would they both fall under the same bracket of rent charge?

Have the solicitors provided the title report? That should include the information you need. 

Is the payment for maintenance of grounds (a kind of service charge), or is it paid purely for the use of the land?.

Edit: missed the amount. £5 per annum.

This is obviously not a service charge. So this is unlikely to be an estate rent charge. Indemnity is probably the way to go. 

I think you will be fine. Just annoying it wasn't sorted earlier.

But just because I could.be wrong here is a link to a solicitor blog post from a few years ago:

https://www.johnhodge.co.uk/site/blog/conveyancing/rentcharges-what-are-they-and-how-might-they-affect-you
  • HeyAnon123
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes the solicitor has double checked and it is definitely rent charge, which halifax are happy with, even without an indemnity policy taken out which did surprise me.

So now finally we can get the exchange done and hopefully complete in the next few weeks 🤩
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes the solicitor has double checked and it is definitely rent charge, which halifax are happy with, even without an indemnity policy taken out which did surprise me.

So now finally we can get the exchange done and hopefully complete in the next few weeks 🤩
    Good news!
  • john-5-2
    john-5-2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As long as the rent charges are paid up to date, It should never be of any problem to anybody
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback