PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Remortgaging due to crazy benefits clause

Options
My friend is in a desperate state. He's just retired and his only income is the state pension. He's eligible for Pension Credit, but there's a clause that prevents him receiving any housing benefit. He's lived in the same house for 25 years. It's in the name of his ex-partner, who left him 7 years ago. She had an interest-only mortgage, which expires in a few months. Neither of them can afford the £60k that will then be payable.

They still get along well, and she's been charging him rent equivalent to the mortgage and bills while she rents a flat in London.

Under normal circumstances, he'd be eligible for housing benefit,  but the clause excludes anyone renting from their ex the house that they once lived in as a couple, no matter how long ago.

His ex is happy to just sell the house and give him half the proceeds, but that would leave him without a home, and not enough money to get a new one. He could rent somewhere else but he's worried about being no-fault evicted. In any case, he'd dearly like to stay where he is.

He's hatched a plan of selling to his neighbour at a vastly reduced price, on the condition that he can stay there renting it. His ex would receive half of the market value, and he'd be left with virtually nothing. That wouldn't matter to him, as he'd get to stay in the house and then be eligible for housing benefit, as he'd have a different landlord to his ex.

This plan seems barking mad to me, but I'm unable to come up with anything better. Is there any way he could get a mortgage for the remaining 60k himself, even though the house is in his ex's name? Then he could be eligible for housing benefit on the mortgage interest?

At the moment, he's left with just £200 per month after paying the rent, and this could get worse if his ex re-mortgages herself to keep the house when the existing one expires.

Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,135 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    He can’t get a mortgage on a property he doesn’t own. In any case, support for mortgage interest is now limited and only paid as a loan.

if the ex remortgages and doesn’t live in the property, she will need a BTL mortgage, whether that is possible depends on the figures, one of which is the amount of rent paid. Lenders like the rental income to be much higher than just covering the mortgage, so it may not be possible.

In short, I can’t how this is workable.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • diyaddictmse
    diyaddictmse Posts: 9 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @silvercar Thank you. I hadn't thought of the BTL ramifications. If the ex was so minded, could she sign over part of the house to his joint ownership, allowing him to apply for a mortgage? -say one sixth, which would be approx 60k worth.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    diyaddictmse said: He's hatched a plan of selling to his neighbour at a vastly reduced price, on the condition that he can stay there renting it. His ex would receive half of the market value, and he'd be left with virtually nothing. That wouldn't matter to him, as he'd get to stay in the house and then be eligible for housing benefit, as he'd have a different landlord to his ex.
    That wheeze smacks of deprivation of assets and possibly benefit fraud - Run it past a solicitor versed in the subject and see what they say.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 8 May at 12:27AM
    Options
    @silvercar Thank you. I hadn't thought of the BTL ramifications. If the ex was so minded, could she sign over part of the house to his joint ownership, allowing him to apply for a mortgage? -say one sixth, which would be approx 60k worth.
    If his only income is the state pension there’s no way he’s getting a mortgage. Besides, he can’t get a mortgage to purchase part of a property, he’d need a joint mortgage with the ex for the whole property. 
  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    My friend is in a desperate state. He's just retired and his only income is the state pension. He's eligible for Pension Credit, but there's a clause that prevents him receiving any housing benefit. He's lived in the same house for 25 years. It's in the name of his ex-partner, who left him 7 years ago. She had an interest-only mortgage, which expires in a few months. Neither of them can afford the £60k that will then be payable.

They still get along well, and she's been charging him rent equivalent to the mortgage and bills while she rents a flat in London.

Under normal circumstances, he'd be eligible for housing benefit,  but the clause excludes anyone renting from their ex the house that they once lived in as a couple, no matter how long ago.

His ex is happy to just sell the house and give him half the proceeds, but that would leave him without a home, and not enough money to get a new one. He could rent somewhere else but he's worried about being no-fault evicted. In any case, he'd dearly like to stay where he is.

He's hatched a plan of selling to his neighbour at a vastly reduced price, on the condition that he can stay there renting it. His ex would receive half of the market value, and he'd be left with virtually nothing. That wouldn't matter to him, as he'd get to stay in the house and then be eligible for housing benefit, as he'd have a different landlord to his ex.

This plan seems barking mad to me, but I'm unable to come up with anything better. Is there any way he could get a mortgage for the remaining 60k himself, even though the house is in his ex's name? Then he could be eligible for housing benefit on the mortgage interest?

At the moment, he's left with just £200 per month after paying the rent, and this could get worse if his ex re-mortgages herself to keep the house when the existing one expires.

Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance.
    There is nothing preventing some one claiming housing benefit or the housing element of universal credit to rent a property from an ex as long as it the tenancy has a commercial basis which this doesn’t as your friend is only paying rent equivalent to the interest only mortgage payment. I also doubt the ex has been complying with any of her responsibilities as a landlord. This sounds like a contrived tenancy in the eyes of the benefits system. 

Your friend cannot sell a property he doesn’t own to his neighbour and even if he could it sounds like another contrived tenancy just do that he can claim benefits. 

If the ex cannot afford to pay the £60k at the end of the mortgage term which must be coming up soon then the ex will have to sell or the lender will repossess. I don’t know the ex’s age but she may find it difficult to remortgage given this is not a commercially viable BTL business given she makes zero profit. 
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Did the ex-partner live in the house until 7 years ago?  That will matter for CGT. As probably would whether they are or were married.
    So if they sold the property, paid off the mortgage, sorted tax, he should have over £100k to find somewhere to live, added to housing benefit a possibility for the rent portion of shared ownership?  That might be possible especially with retirement properties, depending on where in the country he needs to be.

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • diyaddictmse
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is nothing preventing some one claiming housing benefit or the housing element of universal credit to rent a property from an ex as long as it the tenancy has a commercial basis which this doesn’t as your friend is only paying rent equivalent to the interest only mortgage payment. I also doubt the ex has been complying with any of her responsibilities as a landlord. This sounds like a contrived tenancy in the eyes of the benefits system. 
    Unfortunately, Citizen's Advice are certain that if they used to live as a couple in the house at any point in the past, then he's ineligible for housing benefit. This is true even if the tenancy has a commercial basis. They showed him the law (2006 housing act?) and also pointed out that someone went to court over this and lost.

I should point out that he's never previously claimed any benefits, and it was me who encouraged him to go to Citizen's Advice to see if he'd be eligible for any help. I told him to be totally honest about his situation. Even CA were surprised when they found this clause. Until then they were certain he'd be eligible with just a tenancy agreement. Indeed if he were renting from anyone else, he would be.

His ex has essentially just been paying the bills for him, but I think she's had her head in the sand re all the legal/tax ramifications. He just wants to stay in his house whether he gets any help or not. They are smart people, but financially illiterate.
  • diyaddictmse
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did the ex-partner live in the house until 7 years ago?  That will matter for CGT. As probably would whether they are or were married.
    So if they sold the property, paid off the mortgage, sorted tax, he should have over £100k to find somewhere to live, added to housing benefit a possibility for the rent portion of shared ownership?  That might be possible especially with retirement properties, depending on where in the country he needs to be.

Yes, she lived in the house until 7 years ago. They never married. I did wonder about the CGT element. Presumably he'd have to pay it on his share, and she'd have to pay it based on the increase in value over the last 7 years?

Although the house is in her name, he'd have a good case for claiming half its value, since he did loads of building work on it and paid half the mortgage while they were together. This could be one reason why she's happy to let him have half the proceeds.

I've looked into shared ownership but it's problematic, plus he's adamant that he wants to stay in his home. I can see that's looking increasingly unlikely though.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,135 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Yes, she lived in the house until 7 years ago. They never married. I did wonder about the CGT element. Presumably he'd have to pay it on his share, and she'd have to pay it based on the increase in value over the last 7 years?

Although the house is in her name, he'd have a good case for claiming half its value, since he did loads of building work on it and paid half the mortgage while they were together. This could be one reason why she's happy to let him have half the proceeds.

I've looked into shared ownership but it's problematic, plus he's adamant that he wants to stay in his home. I can see that's looking increasingly unlikely though.
    On the face of it, the house is hers, so all the CGT liability is hers. It is calculated on a linear scale with a percentage deducted for the time she lived in it plus a couple of other allowances.

He doesn’t own the house, so has no CGT liability. If he could claim beneficial ownership of a share, he has lived in it as his main residence for the whole time of his ownership, so has no CGT liability. Though claiming a share of the property, reduces her liability.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's not his only income.  He'll also get Winter fuel allowance and the £10 xmas bonus. Plus, not cash, free 'bus pass, free eye tests, free prescriptions. 

Is ex declaring rent income to HMRC?  And realises she will be liable for CGT as she's not living there? (may be none to pay if gain low enough).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure