🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

eBay buyer asked refund+keep item on false claims. Can ebay forcefully take money back?

Options
briancr7
briancr7 Posts: 22 Forumite
First Post
As per title...

I added all the pictures and video proving how well everything was packaged and that everything worked as advertised.

I haven't used e(vil)Bay much so didn't really know these, and without telling the story and giving ideas to the wrong people, this buyer pulled one over on me and ended up keeping the item with all sorts of made up excuses but always choosing the `right` options, knew all the tricks how to end up not having to even return the item after they `won` the case.. I realised there's no real person looking through evidence....

Anyway, I had been already paid to bank account (according to bank app `credit transaction`), however somehow apparently buyer was refunded, money didn't left my account. I didn't had any money on e(vil)Bay funds either...

Can and will eBay pull the money back from my bank account? Shouldn't be able I presume, otherwise why all this secure transactions processes we go through, and free will...?
The item in subject cost just over £220...

Any advice appreciated 

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,356 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes eBay can remove money from your linked bank account . If you are happy to leave eBay then remove your bank account, refuse any DDs set up and don’t list on there any more. If you do try and sell again then any debt owed may be taken from future sales. If the debt meanwhile passes to debt collectors then you may be harassed for a while and if you head over to the debt free boards they will advise you what the rules are for harassment and what they are actually allowed to do. 

Hopefully you accepted the return and at least have your item back, and didn’t ignore it and let it time it. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • briancr7
    First Post
    Options
    soolin said:
    Yes eBay can remove money from your linked bank account . If you are happy to leave eBay then remove your bank account, refuse any DDs set up and don’t list on there any more. If you do try and sell again then any debt owed may be taken from future sales. If the debt meanwhile passes to debt collectors then you may be harassed for a while and if you head over to the debt free boards they will advise you what the rules are for harassment and what they are actually allowed to do. 

Hopefully you accepted the return and at least have your item back, and didn’t ignore it and let it time it. 

I am happy to leave e(vil)Bay, lost all the interest...
    I tried removing my bank account, however it wanted to link another account first... not sure if its a good idea, I could use an account on which I never keep any money, hopefully they cant put the account in debt, I do not have any overdraft set or anything like that, couldn't go under I guess.

I already cancelled all DD with them on the current account, where I was paid.
    Can they still withdraw money even without a valid DD mandate?

I have not accepted the return as postage would be almost £30, heavy item, which would've been another lost.
  • soolin
    edited 8 May at 8:23AM
    Options
    The issue is that if they try and collect a payment but your bank refuses, then your bank will probably charge you a failed payment fee. 

Incidentally there is no trickery used by buyer to keep an item and get a refund. If an item is SNAD or arrives broken buyers have a right to return at sellers cost. If a seller refuses to pay for the return then they are basically telling the buyer to keep item and get a full refund. Plus you will be charged eBay FVFs as well don’t forget. 

Best to accept the return, get item back and if the claim of SNAD was false to firstly appeal to eBay, then if angry enough, to go to small claims against buyer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I fell out with eBay, and they sent me over 250 threatening emails.  I set up an email rule to divert them into a separate folder, so they didn’t get in the way of my normal email. After a year, they stopped sending them. By then, I had set up an account with a different email address. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • briancr7
    First Post
    Options
    soolin said:
    The issue is that if they try and collect a payment but your bank refuses, then your bank will probably charge you a failed payment fee. 

Incidentally there is no trickery used by buyer to keep an item and get a refund. If an item is SNAD or arrives broken buyers have a right to return at sellers cost. If a seller refuses to pay for the return then they are basically telling the buyer to keep item and get a full refund. Plus you will be charged eBay FVFs as well don’t forget. 

Best to accept the return, get item back and if the claim of SNAD was false to firstly appeal to eBay, then if angry enough, to go to small claims against buyer.
    Thats what I thought, there's no trickery.... Buyer offered to pay return postage (obviously there was nothing wrong with the item, even though I said 'no return accepted' on the listing, they changed their minds...)

Then once buyer 'won' the case -'not as described' claiming item doesn't do a 'task' they tried something specific which basically had nothing to do with anything; said item is hazardous to post so can't post it... eBay went with it and decided in buyers favour to keep the item and get a refund in the same time... Hillarious as I got it delivered whilst all the content was transparently recorded, delivery company had no problem with it.

Its all an algorithm, no human is paid to look through these cases, easier to get a computer to carry out default decisions... 
  • briancr7
    First Post
    Options
    eBay closed down the case as 'We received documentation from the buyer that confirms that the item is too hazardous to post. The item will not be returned to you.' Hilarious.
    The item was delivered to them and the content is not hazardous, delivery company had no problem with it.

Is it illegal if the buyer disappears with the product after they had a refund?
    I want to follow this up properly, I won't let it go, roughly £230 value.

Any advice appreciated 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 May at 9:32AM
    Options
    What was the item? 
  • briancr7
    First Post
    Options
    It was electrical device, no battery, no fluids. Not on prohibited list.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    what electrical device ?
  • soolin
    Options
    Firstly I have asked the forum team to merge this with your existing g thread.

secondly have you phoned eBay and asked why they think this is too hazardous to post? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure