IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ridiculous PCN Issued - please help!

Options
I recently received a PCN from Civil Enforcement Ltd. I was staggered to receive it because I followed the required steps to pay the parking fee. 

The car park in question was next to the beach at Holme-Next-The-Sea in Norfolk. The steps I took to pay the fee were as follows;
  1. I attempted to download the Phone & Pay Parking App but could not do so because there was no signal
  2. I then called the number provided (0141 404 000) and spent 3 mins 56 seconds on the phone. The call involved me entering my bank card details and I stayed on the call until the end. My itemised phone bill t proves I made this call.
  3. I received a text message asking me to reply with my vehicle reg - I replied as requested
  4. I received a text back saying "Thank you, your vehicle details have been updated"
  5. £0.01 was debited from my account on the same day from Liverpool City Council. I don't know why Liverpool City Council appears on my statement but it was the only time I used my card on the day in question and upon investigation there seems to be some sort of connection between LCC and Phone & Pay. I also don't know why they only took this amount, but the fact they did proves I entered my card details
  6. £0.01 was refunded to my account on the same day. I don't know why they refunded.
I don't know what else I could have done to pay the fee? Anybody reasonable can surely see this?

I have appealed but all they said was the parking fee was not paid and other people had no issue paying on the day in question.

Comments

• Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 5:36PM
    Options
    Then you will have to appeal to Popla, but don't expect a different outcome , its a pay to stay car park and no payment was actually made, no confirmation that the payment had succeeded 

Use all the usual appeal points as seen in other threads on here 

Perhaps you dialled 0151. ?

Parkopedia third party appear to use this option of the Glasgow number 0141 404 0000 , then the location ID is put in , so not a CEL phone number , and not the number you wrote above either (0141 404 000)
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    On what kind of car park was this please? Hotel, restaurant, shopping/retail park, etc.

Can we please see a redacted copy of the Notice to Keeper (both sides) with personal and VRM details obscured, but leave all dates showing. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,094 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This car park is owned by Hunstanton Golf Club have you tried plan A?
  • robc281274
    robc281274 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Umkomaas said:
    On what kind of car park was this please? Hotel, restaurant, shopping/retail park, etc.

Can we please see a redacted copy of the Notice to Keeper (both sides) with personal and VRM details obscured, but leave all dates showing.

It was a car park next to the beach. Here is the notice to keeper

• robc281274
    Options
    fisherjim said:
    This car park is owned by Hunstanton Golf Club have you tried plan A?
    What do you mean by plan A please?
  • robc281274
    Options
    Umkomaas said:

I will appeal to Popla. The payment was not made, I agree, but the point I am making is what more could I have done? As for no confirmation that that payment was made I'd argue the text I received back is confirmation. I had absolutely no reason to question that text I received at the time. 

I definitely did not dial incorrectly. As I said, my phone records confirm this.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your 4th paragraph?
  • robc281274
    Options
    Gr1pr said:
    Then you will have to appeal to Popla, but don't expect a different outcome , its a pay to stay car park and no payment was actually made, no confirmation that the payment had succeeded 

Use all the usual appeal points as seen in other threads on here 

Perhaps you dialled 0151. ?

Parkopedia third party appear to use this option of the Glasgow number 0141 404 0000 , then the location ID is put in , so not a CEL phone number , and not the number you wrote above either (0141 404 000)
    In respect of usual appeal points, is there a particular thread you could point me towards? There are so many I don't know where to start.
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 7:54PM
    Options
    Its in the newbies FAQ sticky thread in announcements above your thread, about 6 down from the top 

Hunstanton golf club own the car park and contracted with CEL to deal with the parking 

You likely phoned , Phone and Pay, a third party, and registered the card, but didn't call it and add the location, plus the payment, so no payment was made on that pay to park car park, you have checked your statement and no payment was made to CEL

CEL correctly issued a postal PCN due to no valid payment received, and rejected the appeal on the same basis 

You have no proof of payment, no receipt, no text message confirming payment to phone and pay, so neither CEL or the golf club were paid on the day or since 

I cannot see you winning at Popla, meaning that the full £100 would be in play, with a possible court claim within the next 6 years , feel free to correct me if any of the facts are wrong 

Trying to pay and trying to do the right thing ( intention. ) is not the same as paying with proof of payment 

• LDast
    LDast Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Downloading and setting up the third part app is not paying for the parking. Yes, you did everything correctly to set up the app. What you did not subsequently do is make a payment for the parking at that location.
  • robc281274
    Options
    Gr1pr said:
    Its in the newbies FAQ sticky thread in announcements above your thread, about 6 down from the top 

Hunstanton golf club own the car park and contracted with CEL to deal with the parking 

You likely phoned , Phone and Pay, a third party, and registered the card, but didn't call it and add the location, plus the payment, so no payment was made on that pay to park car park, you have checked your statement and no payment was made to CEL

CEL correctly issued a postal PCN due to no valid payment received, and rejected the appeal on the same basis 

You have no proof of payment, no receipt, no text message confirming payment to phone and pay, so neither CEL or the golf club were paid on the day or since 

I cannot see you winning at Popla, meaning that the full £100 would be in play, with a possible court claim within the next 6 years , feel free to correct me if any of the facts are wrong 

Trying to pay and trying to do the right thing ( intention. ) is not the same as paying with proof of payment 

I did enter the car park location code, I recall doing so. There was nothing whatsoever which gave me any indication that I had not completed the process in full. It makes me absolutely sick to the stomach having to pay this fine but I have reluctantly done so. 

I am a 40 something who works for a tech company, I can navigate my way round digital platforms and processes. Goodness knows how many poor unsuspecting people, older folks for example, they catch out with their awful process.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure