PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Offer acceptable but buyer's buyer has no offer

Options
So how would you guys suggest I handle this? I received an acceptable offer on my house, which has no forward chain, and my buyer is SSTC but their buyer has yet to have an offer or has accepted an offer on their property.

I'd like to accept their offer but I don't want to be waiting, and potentially missing further offers on my property, whilst their buyer sells his/hers.

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it's unlikely you find a complete chain of buyers & sellers where your buyers is offering an acceptable price.  One thing to be clear about is your target completion date.  Your buyer will then put pressure on their buyer, so as  not to risk  the purchase of your property
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 4:48PM
    Options
    Chains build from the bottom up, so let them know that you'd be happy to accept their offer once they're proceedable, but in the meantime you'll keep the house on the market
  • steve866
    steve866 Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Martico said:
    Chains build from the bottom up, so let them know that you'd be happy to accept their offer once they're proceedable, but in the meantime you'll keep the house on the market
    This is how it's always worked for me.
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Realistically, this "buyer" is NOT SSTC. Offers from non-proceedable buyers are worth absolutely nothing. I would tell them to come back when they have a proceedable offer on their own place and then you will consider the offer. Until then, nothing changes for you.
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,566 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    the buyer is not proceedable as they haven't got a buyer for their property that can proceed.  i wouldn't sell to anyone in this situation.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently sold a property, one couple offered the asking price but had not yet put their house on the market.  We new the couple, they really, really wanted the house, we were not in a great rush.

They put their house on the market with our agent and we gave them a six week exclusivity (gentleman's agreement not legal) to sell their home.  They priced well, sold in three weeks to first time buyers.  We completed quickly.  It can work!
  • AskAsk
    Options
    ognum said:
    I recently sold a property, one couple offered the asking price but had not yet put their house on the market.  We new the couple, they really, really wanted the house, we were not in a great rush.

They put their house on the market with our agent and we gave them a six week exclusivity (gentleman's agreement not legal) to sell their home.  They priced well, sold in three weeks to first time buyers.  We completed quickly.  It can work!
    it can also go wrong and you have wasted time waiting for them!  when i put my house on sale, a couple was so smitten by it that they offered £30k over the asking price and ask that we give them a month to sell their house.  i told them that i was not prepared to take the property off the market for a month and wait for them, even with the extra money offered.  they ended up taking out a bridging loan to buy the house and offered the full asking price instead.

in my mind, this was a better option as they could make me wait for a month, then once they have had an offer on their house, drop the price back to anything they want!  they could also struggle to sell their house and in the mean time, i would have lost other potential buyers.  too much risk in my opinion.

i would only accept such an offer if there was no other interest, and i would want to continue to advertise.  i wouldn't want to take my property off the market on a wing and a prayer like that!
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    ognum said:

it can also go wrong and you have wasted time waiting for them!  when i put my house on sale, a couple was so smitten by it that they offered £30k over the asking price and ask that we give them a month to sell their house.  i told them that i was not prepared to take the property off the market for a month and wait for them, even with the extra money offered.  they ended up taking out a bridging loan to buy the house and offered the full asking price instead.

in my mind, this was a better option as they could make me wait for a month, then once they have had an offer on their house, drop the price back to anything they want!  they could also struggle to sell their house and in the mean time, i would have lost other potential buyers.  too much risk in my opinion.

i would only accept such an offer if there was no other interest, and i would want to continue to advertise.  i wouldn't want to take my property off the market on a wing and a prayer like that!
    Well as usual with house buying and selling we are all different.  I don't for a minute regret what we did, we had an amicable, easy sale.  Sometimes stepping back and not hassling does work.  You claim it was 'a winging a prayer', we believe it was considered and though out.  The house we sold was far from perfect, the buyers could have asked for price reductions for many things that needed doing.  They didn't because they respected us for sticking with them.  We got what we wanted from listing to sold in three months.
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ognum said:

But this could also have gone this way without you giving them exclusivity. If they wanted it they could still price well and sell fast, make an offer and deal done - no-one's saying they can't have the house. But until their sale is agreed, all you have is some people who really, really want something and you can't sell a house on a dream.
  • AskAsk
    Options
    dander said:
    ognum said:

But this could also have gone this way without you giving them exclusivity. If they wanted it they could still price well and sell fast, make an offer and deal done - no-one's saying they can't have the house. But until their sale is agreed, all you have is some people who really, really want something and you can't sell a house on a dream.
    Exactly.  Things could go very wrong.  He was lucky it didn't.  But all sorts of things could happen where the expected sale falls through, and you would have wasted 6 weeks for nothing.  Not something I would want to take a risk on if there are other buyers interested.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure