Money Moral Dilemma: Should we cease contact with our daughter's ex-husband who owes us money?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 347 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 7 May at 3:48PM in MoneySaving dads
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Over several years, we lent our daughter's now ex-husband £20,000 for various business ventures, all of which failed. They got divorced this year but we've maintained contact to recoup our money. He's making monthly repayments and has, to date, paid back £6,000. However, our daughter has taken legal action to stop him from contacting her, and has told us she doesn't want us talking to him as it means he potentially has access to her. Should we do as she wants and risk losing the outstanding £14,000?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
:# View past Money Moral Dilemmas.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take legal advice.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,508 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    elsien said:
    Brie said:
    Yes.  What a stupid question.
    Why is it a stupid question? The ex paying money back to the parents is not access to the daughter, either direct or indirect, as long as the correct boundaries are maintained. All he has to do is pay it into their bank account - no communication required. 
    And 14K is an awful lot of money to walk away from. 

I would suggest that the person asking the question has a proper conversation with their daughter in order to reassure her that it will not impact her in any way at all and they will not in any circumstances be sharing information about her, passing messages, or doing anything else that she might be worried about. 
     Yes, £14k is a fair chunk of cash.  Whether they can do without it is up to them obviously.  But if the daughter has had to take legal action to stop him contacting her I think there must be something pretty serious going on.  Stalking, abuse, something.  If I was subject to that kind of behaviour I'd be telling my parents to just put up with being out of pocket and realise that the jerk is never going to pay them because he should, but more likely as a means to get to her.  If they love their daughter more than their bank account they would let the money go.  

If as you say it can be done all at arm's length, well ok.  But frankly that's not a situation I've ever seen. 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Marty_NUFC
    Marty_NUFC Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think if you've already had an arrangement and don't need any further contact with him up to now to recoup the £6,000 you've got so far that it's not unreasonable to just leave the arrangement in place for the remaining £14,000 but assure your daughter that there is no contact being made it's repayment of monies owed and nothing more.
  • Jibraeel
    Jibraeel Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No. Carry on demanding the monies, as these payments should be 'remote'. Anyway, how's he paying them back right now? Used notes in a brown envelope through the letterbox? The daughter needs to chillax...
  • Pmatt
    Pmatt Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there a formal arrangement to recover the loans? If not this should be formalised. What should be clear is that they are separate from any personal relationships. If there is default on the payments recovery could be expensive unless you are able to limit the recovery to £10,000 when you could use the small claims procedure.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback