Completely block or delete all incoming emails based on sender name.

Options
JohnB47
JohnB47 Posts: 2,552 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I use Outlook for my emails, on a win 10 PC. I get loads of emails in my spam folder, correctly identified as junk.

The thing is, I keep seeing the same words within in the sender name of many junk emails and I wonder if there's some way for me to get these ones to be either totally blocked, or deleted on receipt - i.e. to not even get to my spam folder.

For example, is there a way to say, "if there's the word 'talcum' within the senders name, totally block it or receive and immediately delete it"?

Thanks.

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    you can set up a rule to move messages based on specific criteria into a folder ( junk ), but normally this is for use with fields like the subject or the actual text of the email - not sure if you can do it based on the senders email as that is all one string rather than pieces of text...
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, yes you can: 
  • JohnB47
    Options
    Thanks guys but this is not exactly what I want to do. I don't want to move these emails into the Junk folder - that's already what is happening. I want to be able to identify them (as per the rule that DE mentions) but I want that rule to result in the email either being totally rejected (ideally) or moved straight into the deleted folder.

Also, maybe I wasn't clear. I mean to identify words or letters within the incoming email message header, not the address (which is constantly changed, for a given spam email). Sorry for the confusion.

Here's an example. I've just received an email from EmpireToday, that's gone straight to my Junk Email folder. This is one of many I receive, all with different senders email addresses.

Is it possible to set a rule that identifies any email with EmpireToday in the message header and completely block it or send it directly to the deleted folder? Ideally I would like to completely block it.

Thanks.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,635 Forumite
    Options
    JohnB47 said:
    Thanks guys but this is not exactly what I want to do. I don't want to move these emails into the Junk folder - that's already what is happening. I want to be able to identify them (as per the rule that DE mentions) but I want that rule to result in the email either being totally rejected (ideally) or moved straight into the deleted folder.

Also, maybe I wasn't clear. I mean to identify words or letters within the incoming email message header, not the address (which is constantly changed, for a given spam email). Sorry for the confusion.

Here's an example. I've just received an email from EmpireToday, that's gone straight to my Junk Email folder. This is one of many I receive, all with different senders email addresses.

Is it possible to set a rule that identifies any email with EmpireToday in the message header and completely block it or send it directly to the deleted folder? Ideally I would like to completely block it.

Thanks.

Well with the message rules you can put messages meeting the criteria directly in the deleted folder.   Look in the screenshot above.  One of the options is words in the message header.  Go and play about with the rules.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Options
    you can definitely move messages into the deleted folder based on rules
  • JohnB47
    Options
    Ok guys. Thanks. I'll have a play.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    Options
    By the time the email gets to your email client (Outlook) it has already been received by whoever provides your email service and it is too late to "completely block" it. The only option at that point is to use rules in the email client to put it in an appropriate folder, as explained by others already..
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • JohnB47
    Options
    Thanks. I've played with his and nothing works. Every spam email still goes directly to the Junk folder (as designed). I was just looking at some way to completely block spam emails. Seems I can't. Ho Hum.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,643 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JohnB47 said:
    Thanks. I've played with his and nothing works. Every spam email still goes directly to the Junk folder (as designed). I was just looking at some way to completely block spam emails. Seems I can't. Ho Hum.

What version of Outlook are you using? I think most will let you have a rule which moves items to the Deleted folder when conditions are met.
    Alternatively, does the email service you use offer webmail and/or rules you can apply there to block messages from ever coming through to your Outlook?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• JohnB47
    edited 15 May at 7:40PM
    Options
    victor2 said:
    JohnB47 said:

What version of Outlook are you using? I think most will let you have a rule which moves items to the Deleted folder when conditions are met.
    Alternatively, does the email service you use offer webmail and/or rules you can apply there to block messages from ever coming through to your Outlook?
    Edit:

Sorry, I made a mistake. I was setting the condition on the Subject field - it should have been on the From field. I'll try that now.

Not sure what version - how can I tell? (nothing shows in settings). Yes, I'm setting rules, based on words in the Subject field. I presume I can use words within larger phrases. So a rule to delete an incoming mail with subject OfferForYou could be: delete any email with Offer in the Subject field. Or do I have to use wildcards, like * or ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback