We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Water Meter

I am a newbie and this is my first post. I looked through some of the threads and could not find the answer to this question. So here goes.

I have lived in this house for 16 years. A few times over this period I have enquired about water meters. Promised returned calls, told I couldn't have one etc. etc. No proof of any of this.

I got the bill again from Yorkshire Water and decided to enquire again. After a elongated conversation she told me I am on a meter. I said I wasn't, even though I have enquired numerous times.

It turns out the gentleman who had the house prior to me had a meter filled, strangely by the Inland Revenue, It is at the bottom of the drive. 

She said she would have to speak to her manager and a week later I got a reduced bill for my water on a water meter. That covers the start of this year. I assume they have been reading the meter all this time but charging me £1200 a year for no meter. My new bill comes in at £20.51 a month. I am sure this will fluctuate with the readings but she estimated the bill at £450.00.

Obviously you know what's coming. The question is am I entitled to some form of compensation. I cannot proof I have enquired about a meter. But I thought I had read somewhere they have a responsibility to give me the cheapest options. As a meter was fitted (and assuming they were reading it - I can't assume otherwise as I am told they drive up and down the road taking readings), there was absolutely no reason why I was not put on the meter.

I don't want to waste mine or their time writing as I am sure I will get the obvious rebuttal. If I have a case I will follow it through.

Thanks for your help to anyone who takes the time to reply and hope it is helpful to anyone in a similar situation.

Comments

  • DingerUK
    DingerUK Posts: 76 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Check your previous bills, do they mention a water meter serial number?

    I recently moved to a water meter, my original account was closed and a new one opened when the meter was fitted. Once you have the meter serial number the water company can tell you when that meter was added on to your account 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.