Water Meter

Options
Agrios
Agrios Posts: 1 Newbie
I am a newbie and this is my first post. I looked through some of the threads and could not find the answer to this question. So here goes.

I have lived in this house for 16 years. A few times over this period I have enquired about water meters. Promised returned calls, told I couldn't have one etc. etc. No proof of any of this.

I got the bill again from Yorkshire Water and decided to enquire again. After a elongated conversation she told me I am on a meter. I said I wasn't, even though I have enquired numerous times.

It turns out the gentleman who had the house prior to me had a meter filled, strangely by the Inland Revenue, It is at the bottom of the drive. 

She said she would have to speak to her manager and a week later I got a reduced bill for my water on a water meter. That covers the start of this year. I assume they have been reading the meter all this time but charging me £1200 a year for no meter. My new bill comes in at £20.51 a month. I am sure this will fluctuate with the readings but she estimated the bill at £450.00.

Obviously you know what's coming. The question is am I entitled to some form of compensation. I cannot proof I have enquired about a meter. But I thought I had read somewhere they have a responsibility to give me the cheapest options. As a meter was fitted (and assuming they were reading it - I can't assume otherwise as I am told they drive up and down the road taking readings), there was absolutely no reason why I was not put on the meter.

I don't want to waste mine or their time writing as I am sure I will get the obvious rebuttal. If I have a case I will follow it through.

Thanks for your help to anyone who takes the time to reply and hope it is helpful to anyone in a similar situation.

Comments

• DingerUK
    DingerUK Posts: 66 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Check your previous bills, do they mention a water meter serial number?

I recently moved to a water meter, my original account was closed and a new one opened when the meter was fitted. Once you have the meter serial number the water company can tell you when that meter was added on to your account 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback