PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

TR1 form - buyer completes panel 10?

Options
Our neighbours are in the process of selling their flat along with their share of the freehold.
Their solicitors have just written to us asking us to sign the pre-filled TR1 form along with a couple of other documents.

However, upon reviewing the form, I noticed that panel 10 (declaration of trust) was blank. When I enquired, I was told that this is for the buyer to complete.

How can that be? Surely I cannot sign something with a blank section that could, in principle, reduce our share of the freehold to 1% or add conditions that we don't agree with? Is this standard practice when a share of the freehold is transferred?

Comments

• TBG01
    TBG01 Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Panel 10 has nothing to do with you or the freehold.

Unsurprisingly the Solicitor is correct. 
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TBG01 said:
    Panel 10 has nothing to do with you or the freehold.

Unsurprisingly the Solicitor is correct. 
    Would you mind explaining?
  • TBG01
    TBG01 Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 12:57PM
    Options
    Because you have no reason for knowing how they wish to hold the property.

Why would or should you have a say in whether they hold the property/freehold in accordance with a Declaration of Trust (would you be happy with some stranger knowing your financial arrangements?) or why would or should you have a say in them holding it as joints tenants meaning when one party dies their 50% of the property transfer to the surviving party.

As I've already pointed out it's got nothing to do with the freehold.

The Solicitor isn't going to risk their job and reputation trying swindle you out of the freehold.
  • arciere
    edited 7 May at 1:08PM
    Options
    I am sorry but it's still not clear to me.

The TR1 form is transferring the property from the current owners (2, the selling owners, + 2, we non-selling owners) to the new owner plus us (1 + 2).

From what I can see, this is not a form that affects their flat alone, but the entire 'block of flats' that we are also owners of.

Therefore, whatever they decide to do with how they want to hold their property will also affect us because, as I said previously, the transfer is also being made from us to us (plus the new owner).

So how is it possible that they can decide what to do with the transfer, and we can't? What if they want to have all joint owners (which is, the new buyer plus us 2) as joint tenants, but we want to be tenants in common instead, for obvious reasons?

Unless I'm missing something obvious here, and if that's the case I apologise, if this has got nothing to do with the freehold, why are we requested to sign it, with all our names as transferors and transferees?
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 May at 5:11PM
    Options
    The sellers will need to complete two TR1's. 

One TR1 is transferring the leasehold flat and the other TR1 is transferring the freehold land and building. 

The buyer can hold the leasehold part of their purchase as either Joint Tenants or Tenants in Common and it will be for them to decide which they prefer, 

You would not be sent the TR1 to sign for the leasehold transfer as this is between the seller and buyer only.

The freehold transfer however is to remove the current freeholders (seller) from the freehold title and to add the new freeholder (buyer), along with the other current freeholders.

You would need to look at the freehold title register to see how the freehold building/land is held currently.  There would be a sole proprietor restriction on the title (and probably a Declaration of Trust) if it is held as Tenants in Common.  If there is no sole proprietor restriction, then the freehold is held as Joint Tenants.  Whatever it currently is, is what it will still be when the flat is transferred.  You cannot change this without the agreement of all other freeholders, who would each need their own legal representation.
  • arciere
    Options
    There seems to be some confusion.

The property includes two flats (flat 1 and flat 2). Flat 1 is being sold, we live in flat 2 and we are not selling.

Currently, the property is held jointly as 'Tenants in Common', in 4 names (2+2), with a specified share of 50% each 'couple'.

Now, the form that we are asked to fill in is a TR1 form for the transfer of the property of the entire building (freehold). The transfer is being made as follows:

From owners 1a,1b (of flat 1) and 2a, 2b (of flat 2) to new 1 (buyer of flat 1) and 2a, 2b (existing owners of flat 2).

Therefore, the TR1 form that we were presented has 4 transferors and 3 transferees.

Panel 10 (Declaration of trust) was left blank for the buyer of Flat 1 to complete.

So, if we had to follow the solicitor's advice and sign the form without seeing what they will put in panel 10, potentially we could end up having a 5% share of the freehold and conditions that we don't agree with?

Why do the buyers get to say how this should be done, and not us, as the current owners?
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    arciere said:

The property includes two flats (flat 1 and flat 2). Flat 1 is being sold, we live in flat 2 and we are not selling.

Currently, the property is held jointly as 'Tenants in Common', in 4 names (2+2), with a specified share of 50% each 'couple'.

Now, the form that we are asked to fill in is a TR1 form for the transfer of the property of the entire building (freehold). The transfer is being made as follows:

From owners 1a,1b (of flat 1) and 2a, 2b (of flat 2) to new 1 (buyer of flat 1) and 2a, 2b (existing owners of flat 2).

Therefore, the TR1 form that we were presented has 4 transferors and 3 transferees.

Panel 10 (Declaration of trust) was left blank for the buyer of Flat 1 to complete.

So, if we had to follow the solicitor's advice and sign the form without seeing what they will put in panel 10, potentially we could end up having a 5% share of the freehold and conditions that we don't agree with?

Why do the buyers get to say how this should be done, and not us, as the current owners?

It's not really "per couple", it's per flat.  So flat 1 owns 50% of the freehold and flat 2 owns 50% of the freehold.  They won't be able to change those percentages, unless you agree to it.
  • arciere
    Options
    Tiglet2 said:
    arciere said:

It's not really "per couple", it's per flat.  So flat 1 owns 50% of the freehold and flat 2 owns 50% of the freehold.  They won't be able to change those percentages, unless you agree to it.
    Yes, it's "per flat", but in the declaration of trust it doesn't say "per flat", it says "50% Mr 1 and Mrs 1 and 50% Mr 2 and Mrs 2". So, technically, each 'couple' owns a 50% share. It might be unusual, I don't know, but this is what our solicitors did when we bought the properties some time ago.

Now, I know that they won't be able to change those percentages unless we agree to it. But isn't the declaration of trust/panel 10 the place where someone would agree to what percentage they're to hold a property, like we did when we purchased it? And if that's a yes, wouldn't it be a risk to follow the solicitor's advice and basically sign a blank cheque?
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just tell them you insist on section 10 being completed before signing.  There is no reason why section 10 cannot be completed in advance.
  • arciere
    edited 7 May at 8:15PM
    Options
    anselld said:
    Just tell them you insist on section 10 being completed before signing.  There is no reason why section 10 cannot be completed in advance.
    Thanks, their solicitor made me sound like I was asking for the moon ("it is for the buyer to fill in section 10").
    I pointed out that, technically, we are also 'buyers' (and current owners that are not selling and have no intentions to agree to anything that could potentially go against our interests), so I can't see why they get to decide how the property should be held and we can't. They still haven't responded and I'm considering whether their offer to "represent us, free if charge", is even worth considering.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback