EarthBoy
EarthBoy Posts: 3,049 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 7 May at 9:22AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
The First Direct switching offer is back:

Current Account | Open Online Current Account - first direct

Terms and conditions:

first direct
CASS switcher offer Terms and Conditions Effective from 7 May until the Offer is withdrawn.

Who’s running the offer?

first direct a division of HSBC UK plc (‘we, us’) is the promoter of the Offer

Switch criteria
• open a first direct 1st Account on or after 7 May and before the Offer is withdrawn
• switch your everyday banking to us using the Current Account Switch Service (CASS). This must be from an account of another UK bank or building society that participates in CASS: (participating banks and building societies)
• where your first direct 1st Account is a joint account, at least one of the joint account holders must complete the CASS switch from either a sole account in their own name or another in the same names
• a full CASS switch including at least two Direct Debits or Standing Orders must be made within 30 Days of us opening your first direct 1st Account
• deposit a minimum of £1,000 (in single or multiple deposits) in your account and retain the amount of £1,000 for a duration of at least 24 hours. This amount should be reflected in your account balance overnight. Deposit must be made within 30 days of us opening your first direct 1st Account
• use your debit card 5+ times, including where you have set up your card in Google pay, Apple Pay etc. and the transactions must be posted to your account within 30 days of us opening your first direct 1st Account. The following are excluded: gambling transactions, credit card or insurance payments, cash withdrawals and card to card payments
• register and log on to Online Banking, within 30 days of us opening your first direct 1st Account
• you must continue to hold your first direct 1st Account on the date we make the Offer payment
• be a new customer to first direct, who has not previously held a first direct product, or has opened an HSBC current account on or after 1 January 2018.

Switch Offer Payment
If you meet all of the eligibility, we will make the payment of £175 (the ‘Offer Payment’) to you before the 20th of the following month.
The Offer Payment will be made by a direct credit into your first direct 1st Account.
The Offer is limited to one payment per first direct 1st Account.

What else do I need to know?
We can change these terms or cancel the Offer without telling you in advance if:
• required by law, or
• there are reasons beyond our control, or
• there’s a fair or valid reason.

Comments

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,551 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting, so now they're back to an open ended offer.

I noticed over the weekend that Lloyds Bank seem to have done a big rebrand/relaunch on Club Lloyds, so I wonder if we'll be seeing another offer from them soon.

• overspender22
    overspender22 Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not having had a HSBC account open since 2018, which is now SIX years ago is absolutely ridiculous. Not having received a switch offer maybe, but a six year timeframe is a joke.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not having had a HSBC account open since 2018, which is now SIX years ago is absolutely ridiculous. Not having received a switch offer maybe, but a six year timeframe is a joke.
    Yeah it was the first thing I scrolled to in case HSBC do it too, I switched in Feb 22 so I wasn't expecting something this year but 2028 until I could potentially get an HSBC one if they do it is crazy!
  • WillPS
    edited 7 May at 10:14AM
    Options
    Agree - but from my own experience and what I've read, they rarely (if ever) enforce this. They seem less good at enforcing their own 'never had an account with FD' stipulation than they once were too, I got a second bonus from them last year despite having had another in 2018.
    YMMV of course.
  • propunter99
    propunter99 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I opened a First Direct account at the end of 2023 and got the free cash earlier this year. My account with them is still open.

I know I'm not technically eligible, but obviously people get multiple from banks all the time. (I've had two in 1 year from Lloyds).

Does anyone know if I'll be likely to get it if I close my existing account this week then apply next week?  :D
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    WillPS said:

I noticed over the weekend that Lloyds Bank seem to have done a big rebrand/relaunch on Club Lloyds, so I wonder if we'll be seeing another offer from them soon.

I hope not. I switched to Lloyds last week to get a better mortgage rate and received no switching bonus.
  • WillPS
    Options
    jbrassy said:
    WillPS said:

I hope not. I switched to Lloyds last week to get a better mortgage rate and received no switching bonus.

They tend to not exclude existing customers, so I wouldn't worry.
  • Tonski
    Tonski Posts: 50 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I opened a joint account with FD in 2011 which I closed in 2023 (didn't get a switching bonus for this). After reading the T&C's I believe I am ineligible for this offer, is that correct?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May at 10:32AM
    Options
    Tonski said:
    I opened a joint account with FD in 2011 which I closed in 2023 (didn't get a switching bonus for this). After reading the T&C's I believe I am ineligible for this offer, is that correct?
    Yes according to the T&Cs

Nasqueron said:
    Yeah it was the first thing I scrolled to in case HSBC do it too, I switched in Feb 22 so I wasn't expecting something this year but 2028 until I could potentially get an HSBC one if they do it is crazy!

They're clearly not aiming at serial switchers so for the average account customer it won't be a problem as most people don't want to switch to the same bank more than once.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May at 10:32AM
    Options
    Tonski said:
    Yes.

be a new customer to first direct, who has not previously held a first direct product
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback