Contacting Banks by email without having an account

Options
I've been instructed by a pension finding company to contact a previous employer to see if I made any pension contributions through them.
Please could someone tell me how I can contact the Halifax Building Society by email. I'm trying to find out if I contributed to a pension when I worked for the Leeds Permanent Building Society (taken over by the Halifax) back in the 80s. I now believe the Halifax to have been taken over by Lloyds.  However the website requires you to have an account to use an app to contact them, which I don't. 
I seem to be getting nowhere! Please can anyone advice. 
Thanks. 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You would need to contact their HR dept, best bet would be via post.
    No good actually contacting the banking contact center, as they could give no info on internal contacts.

So would take a stab at lloyds address as current owners.

Life in the slow lane
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 May at 5:03PM
    Options
    Not sure this will get you through to the exact right department, but:
    From this page (https://www.halifax.co.uk/helpcentre/call-us.html) under the "What would you like to talk to us about?", select the drop down box for investments and you'll see a few 0345 phone number options. Not email, I know, but you might find some help there.

[Edit: elsien's number below may be closer to what you're after]
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 May at 5:03PM
    Options
    Can you phone them?

If you're not sure of your membership

If you joined Lloyds Banking Group after 1 July 2010, you’ll have been automatically enrolled in Your Tomorrow.

If you’re still unsure, or if you’re a dependant or representative who needs to get in touch, contact WTW (the scheme administrator) at 01737 227 522.

Or

Lloyds Banking Group Pensions Department
    Trinity Road
    Halifax
    HX1 2RG

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    "I've been instructed by a pension finding company"

What does that mean?  What pension finding company?  Sounds like you're dealing with someone who is going to want a fee for some of the work that you could do yourself.  And looks like they're making you do the work!

Have you tried - 
    Find pension contact details - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is virtually certain that any  Leeds Permanent BS staff pension scheme back in the eighties was a contracted out Defined Benefit Scheme.

The Leeds (as it was known - I'm old enough to remember the Arthur Daley ads) merged with the Halifax around thirty years back.

The Halifax had its own DB pension scheme but  subsequent  acquisitions and mergers meant that  Halifax ended as part of the Lloyds

Group.

Willis Towers Watson administer the Lloyds scheme - you might try an enquiry

WTW
    PO Box 545
    Redhill

Surrey RH1 1YX

Tel: 01737 227 522

Or you could try a subject access request to HMRC

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/78889963/#Comment_78889963

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    xylophone said:
    The Leeds (as it was known - I'm old enough to remember the Arthur Daley ads) merged with the Halifax around thirty years back.
    OP was employed by the Leeds Permanent Building Society, which was bought by Halifax, but "The Leeds", with those adverts, referred to the unrelated Leeds Building Society, which still exists as a standalone entity:

Mortgages, Savings, Insurance & More | Leeds Building Society
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,867 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been instructed by a pension finding company to contact a previous employer to see if I made any pension contributions through them.
    Please could someone tell me how I can contact the Halifax Building Society by email. I'm trying to find out if I contributed to a pension when I worked for the Leeds Permanent Building Society (taken over by the Halifax) back in the 80s. I now believe the Halifax to have been taken over by Lloyds.  However the website requires you to have an account to use an app to contact them, which I don't. 
    I seem to be getting nowhere! Please can anyone advice. 
    Thanks. 

How old were you when you first joined the Halifax's employment? If you could give your rough dates of employment, that might save you quite a bit of legwork. If you left before 6 April 1988 and had under five years of scheme membership, you wouldn't have an entitlement to a 'deferred' pension unless the scheme's own rules provided otherwise - which isn't likely, given it was the 1980s.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This comment needs to be cleared up as its confusing.

Tracing companies are used by pension schemes to locate people.    If it's one of those, they will give you the details to get in contact.     Why a tracing company would contact you asking you to do the tracing seems a bit bizarre.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • retiredbanker1
    retiredbanker1 Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good luck when contacting WTW - they are the worst of the worst pension administrator. How on earth Lloyds Banking Group have not given them the boot is beyond me. (OK they must be cheap!)
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

OP was employed by the Leeds Permanent Building Society, which was bought by Halifax, but "The Leeds", with those adverts, referred to the unrelated Leeds Building Society, which still exists as a standalone entity:

I have had accounts with   the still existing Leeds Building Society,  (formerly Leeds and Holbeck) for over twenty years.

Re Leeds Permanent  and Arthur Daley see

https://oakhillifs.com/how-leeds-permanent-vanished-and-a-new-leeds-filled-the-void/

If the former Leeds Permanent Building Society had ‘done what it says on the tin’ like that wood-stain in the old TV ad, the mortgage lender would surely still have branches on Britain’s high streets. Savers might even be able to invest in its Liquid Gold account, the ‘nice little earner’ promoted in another old advert by the late George Cole, who played likeable rogue Arthur Daley in ‘Minder’.

Seeing permanent status as the future, in 1848 the society converted into what later became Leeds Permanent. It was soon helping homebuyers throughout Yorkshire and during its first century grew its assets beyond £40m with its countrywide expansion. Later, the wave of privatising and demutualising that began in the 1980s saw ‘The Leeds’ merge with Halifax Building Society in 1995.

Halifax plc united with Bank of Scotland in 2001 as HBOS, which was absorbed by Lloyds Banking Group during the 2009 financial crisis. Meanwhile, in 2005, a small but old society, Leeds & Holbeck, opted to drop ‘& Holbeck’ and confusingly rebranded as Leeds Building Society. In this evolving market of banks, building societies and alternative lenders, as your mortgage adviser, we are always totally at home.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback