PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Finance options to buy out siblings of our inherited ihouse

Options
allroundgoodguy
allroundgoodguy Posts: 37 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Myself and 2 younger brothers have inherited our mothers house. We disagree on selling strategy, one wants to wait till the market improves, one lives there wants to sell but not cheap and I'm prepared to take a bit of a hit to get it sold. 
We're in our early to late 50's, mortgate not an option, I got one quote for bridging loan for 12 months but it was extrontionate rate (may not be typical). All 3 of us are administators.
I am looking to buy them out.
Edit: I tried to get suggestions in another thread but no suggestions.
What are the finance options?

Comments

• propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why is mortgage not an option> Certainly it's not your age? Do you already own a property?
    Are there other assets in your mother's Estate?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,373 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Brie said:

How annoying!
  • allroundgoodguy
    edited 6 May at 5:38PM
    Options
    Brie said:
    Thanks, because I didn't get any suggestions. Just lots of queries about my circumstances and the wording i used.
  • allroundgoodguy
    edited 6 May at 5:39PM
    Options
    Why is mortgage not an option> Certainly it's not your age? Do you already own a property?
    Are there other assets in your mother's Estate?
    Thanks, My age I feel and my wife doesn't want another mortgate and we've just paid ours off so I can't really afford on my own. There was nothing else in the Estate apart from the property. Are they my only options?
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There aren't really many options for raising a 6-figure sum in those circumstances:

Other money in the estate - you say there isn't any.
    Unsecured loan - already dismissed as too expensive.
    Secured loan - you have decided that you don't want one.

There isn't much left to suggest.  Win the lottery?  Crowdfunding?  Hold a raffle?
  • allroundgoodguy
    Options
    There aren't really many options for raising a 6-figure sum in those circumstances:

Other money in the estate - you say there isn't any.
    Unsecured loan - already dismissed as too expensive.
    Secured loan - you have decided that you don't want one.

There isn't much left to suggest.  Win the lottery?  Crowdfunding?  Hold a raffle?
    Thanks, it's what I feared.

I guess I'd only looked at one bridging loan and wondered if it was pretty standard terms.
    They offered £250k, £10k fees, 1.05% per month over 12 months. It meant approx £30k cost to me.
    I don't begrudge them making money though.
    Is that average cost?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,314 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not just sell now and haggle with brothers about how it's split?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,340 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If both your siblings are willing to sell, but disagree over the price - wouldn't it be simpler to give the money to your siblings rather than to a bank? Eg If sale completes in 9 months I will give you £12k each? 
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • allroundgoodguy
    edited 6 May at 6:18PM
    Options
    user1977 said:
    Why not just sell now and haggle with brothers about how it's split?
    Thanks.
    It's been on the market a year. We're 3 equal administrators.
    They're pretty stubborn. The middle  brother is blocking and happy to wait it out, doesn't need the money, (maybe there is a grief thing about dealing with it too), probably deluded about the market value and won't reduce the price much etc. So far, we've tried to get all agreement but it's been 3 years in October. We've actually sold it twice but the buyers could not raise all the funds.
    It's incredibly frustrating.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure