🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Sale of inherited goods

Options
Hi. Unfortunately my father passed away a few weeks ago. His current wife is granted probate and the will leaves everything to her without exception. This is expected and we're all absolutely fine with it.

As it is her property now, she has decided to gift me his somewhat extensive collection of camera and computing equipment as she does not want it or even know what to do with it. I wish to keep and use some of it and dispose of some of it on eBay.

What tax liability / capital gain situation am I in here? None of the items individually are above the threshold or qualify as antiques or collectables

Comments

• Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I assume that as it's a gift, (and relatively low cost) there would not be any tax liability.....
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,846 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You will be selling personal possessions, there is no tax liability in doing that. CGC does not apply as you will be selling at the same value that they were gifted to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure