Unfair negative

Options
I have 100% positive feedback until last month when a buyer bought an expensive purse from me and provided an address that wasn`t recognized by RM.
I decided to cancel the order and refund the money as I was worried that if it were lost RM could say the address didn`t exist.  She had added a letter to the place. I immediately got a negative.

This buyer has only bought 4 items from Ebay and complained about her other purchases.  Ebay refuse to remove the negative and it seems overly harsh that these negatives are on for a year.

I have responded and said why I declined to send it as the customer arbitrarily changed the address which concerned me in the event of a loss.  Is it true that if you respond to feedback,   Ebay will definitely not remove the negative?
Incidentally the request for feedback removal seems to be AI based as whatever you put is rejected.

Comments

• LinLui
    LinLui Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't know what the answer to this is, but I can confirm that that a lot of the responses you get from EBay are now AI generated (although the "I" seesm to be questionable). Twice recently my couriers from a particular company have "delivered" my parcels to the doorstep of my house in full view of the street from where they have promptly disappeared.Upon complaining both sellers told me that it wasn't their problem and EBay always backs the seller because they have "proof of delivery". On both occasions the AI backed them - but on both occasions an appeal to a real person saw my money refunded because the proof of delivery was actually proof that it wasn't delivered! Can you similarly appeal?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How did they change the address? You send to the PayPal address if posting. Not an address that they specify. Did the PayPal address match the one they provided?

Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,314 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 May at 8:05AM
    Options
    pinkshoes said:
    How did they change the address? You send to the PayPal address if posting. Not an address that they specify. Did the PayPal address match the one they provided?

Assuming buyer paid by PayPal , and many don’t know that the link between them and ebay has gone,  sellers can’t see the PayPal address now and can’t even tell if it was a PayPal sale.

the new rule is that it must go to the eBay address given.

OP I have had a couple of bits of feedback removed recently , I did it on the basis that eBay rules were breached, so if you are using the automated removal system you need to find and specifically state which bit of the T and Cs you feel has been broken. Did you contact the buyer? if so if they replied that they wanted an entirely new address or didn’t respond state that, if you didn’t contact buyer then I can’t see any reason to appeal, eBay are very hot now on buyers and sellers communications . If it was just an extra letter, and I find this a lot in Glasgow addresses where they may add a floor number or just a letter before the block number then that would have been OK,it’s when they materially change it that it becomes an issue. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • zackary71
    zackary71 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel your pain janb5 - and can relate to eBay's inflexibility on such an issue. I had a Neutral left 7 weeks after sale for a small value item I would have gladly refunded straight away had I been told there was a problem. The actual Feedback said "not the Seller's fault", so I thought a Revision and removal would be a doddle. The Buyer ignored a message to resolve so Revision added. Bear in mind eBay's actual wording on Help section says it would remove Feedback when not the Seller's fault. Lo and behold, the Revision was rejected, so I used my only other avenue of publicly replying to the Feedback.  I went to town on it, and in a way, it worked in my favour, as I was able to show how I would always seek to resolve a problem should it occur.
  • GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you phone eBay and actually speak to someone? I tend to find them much better then doing anything online.....
  • Missus_Hyde
    Missus_Hyde Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Recently I've been buying quite a lot of items on eBay ( I tend to use it in fits and starts depending on what I'm buying) but can't ever remember giving a negative or neutral score for any seller from whom I've purchased anything. 

Of course, I'm fairly careful who I buy from, but usually if there is a problem, I'll message the seller and see if we can resolve the problem before it gets to the negative/ neutral stage. It does seem to be the norm now that people leave negative feed back for sellers on the slightest provocation; for instance, I had a parcel which was sent by Evri, which I never received. However, the seller went to so much trouble to chase it up for me ( unfortunately I never did receive it, but I suspect she put her own label on it and thus mucked up the system.) I couldn't therefore leave negative feedback, after she went above and beyond to try and find the parcel and she refunded me in full, so she deserved good feedback, which I gave her.

Likewise, I've had sellers cancel a sale, but have refunded very quickly, so again, I feel that warrants good feedback. Most of the sellers I've dealt with have been very good ( one even gave a partial refund of postage as they were able to send the item more cheaply, which I wasn't expecting, so I sent them a message thanking them and gave them glowing feedback.) 

My only small gripe with sellers is that some don't bother to leave feedback for me, but it doesn't really matter that much.☺️
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Recently I've been buying quite a lot of items on eBay ( I tend to use it in fits and starts depending on what I'm buying) but can't ever remember giving a negative or neutral score for any seller from whom I've purchased anything. 

Of course, I'm fairly careful who I buy from, but usually if there is a problem, I'll message the seller and see if we can resolve the problem before it gets to the negative/ neutral stage. It does seem to be the norm now that people leave negative feed back for sellers on the slightest provocation; for instance, I had a parcel which was sent by Evri, which I never received. However, the seller went to so much trouble to chase it up for me ( unfortunately I never did receive it, but I suspect she put her own label on it and thus mucked up the system.) I couldn't therefore leave negative feedback, after she went above and beyond to try and find the parcel and she refunded me in full, so she deserved good feedback, which I gave her.

Likewise, I've had sellers cancel a sale, but have refunded very quickly, so again, I feel that warrants good feedback. Most of the sellers I've dealt with have been very good ( one even gave a partial refund of postage as they were able to send the item more cheaply, which I wasn't expecting, so I sent them a message thanking them and gave them glowing feedback.) 

My only small gripe with sellers is that some don't bother to leave feedback for me, but it doesn't really matter that much.☺️

If only eBay had more buyers like you. 
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding.  I`ve come to the end of the road on this one.  My gripe was the buyer added a letter and I was concerned if it were lost then RM wouldn`t refund.  Said buyer  has only had 4 purchases and complained about them too so she`s a newcomer to the blocked list!

I have tried speaking to both Customer Services and completing a revision request and it was refused.  I think a negative for a year is very harsh but I`ll get over it.  I do go over and beyond for my buyers so felt very cross about it but will put it to bed for now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback