Uninsured hit and run, next to no damage

Options
UnsureAboutthis
UnsureAboutthis Posts: 67 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper
Today, waiting in traffic on a main road, a car came up from behind and hit my car.
It was a restively loud bang.
I got out of the car and went up to the car that crashed into mine.
He got out and said, sorry. His car was used a few inches into my bumper.
I note that he not only stunk of booze but had trouble standing up straight.
He then said I'd reversed into him. I rang the police and when he noted this, he ran 
away. The police arrived about 5 minutes later
I have a crime reference number
The car was on false plates therefore not registered or insured to anyone

I will call my insurance tomorrow as I'm guessing the police will have made contact as
they were very interested in my details/insurance etc - no problem they go it all.

I will call my insurance tomorrow but won't be making a claim and the drunks
car was an old banger, a Ford Focus (Mk2 I think)

As there is no damage to may car to speak of as the slight marks that looked like scuffs
were easily removed with a hand polish. A very small mark, about 40mm on the plastic and that can be touched up by me in the next few days and even if I do not, only I may note it if I look for it

My question is and I fear its is true, IE will my insurance increase next time around regardless
of me waiting in traffic, being hit by a car on fake plates and hit and run/uninsured.

Would you agree that this hit and run and no claim by me or the other driver/car, will result in my premium going up the next time I renwe my insurance which is in a few weeks. If this is the case, is there a case for me to claim compensation from the scheme set up to help victims of this type of crime to recover their loses, ie increase in premium, loss of NCD etc. I doubt it but I thought I'd ask.

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,674 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry can't help about any compensation scheme but I fear you're right about the likelihood of an increased premium. 

I had an incident last year where someone reversed into my car in a car park. The damage was minimal (cracked light fitting) which I had repaired at my own expense. It cost the insurer zilch but my premium went up way more than the average at the time. 

I tried to get an explanation, even appealed but all I could get out of them was that there were a 'variety of reasons' why premiums could rise.

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May at 11:00PM
    Options
    It may have no effect on your premium, we can't say.
    Insurance premiums are crazy at the moment, chances are that yours will have gone up anyway, and you will have to shop around.

You have an accident to declare, not a claim.

You can't claim anything from the scheme, it is specifically to compensate people when there is no insurance in place that will cover the loss, e.g. their car only has third party cover, or they were run over by a car with no insurance in place.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May at 1:02PM
    Options
    Just notify your insurer (you have to now) as an incident and no claim from either side, ask them to note it as such. You're right that your premiums for the next 3-5 years could increase. If you've got 'uninsured driver promise' then your NCD won't be affected.

In terms of the 'scheme', you can refer it to the MIB which is free to consumers but a solicitor will charge to handle the claim unless you can do it yourself. The DVLA might give you the registered keeper details, for a small fee, and you could try and claim from them.

The police will probably not be interested in helping you.
  • UnsureAboutthis
    UnsureAboutthis Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    #thank you all.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, just to add, premiums are going up a lot at the moment for many people whether you've had a claim or not, so it will be difficult to tell. My last claim was 24 years ago but my insurance still went up by 50% this year after a lot of searching  and with everything else the same. One minor no claim incident shouldn't impact your premium much if at all. 
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    People worry way too much about this.

Your premium will go up for some insurers; barely at all for others. 

In my experience it's £30-£50 in the first year and barely anything by year 3. 

It's just part of the cost of having a car. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback