Air India flight from Amritsar to Gatwick cancelled

Options
Hi guys my parents return flight direct from Amritsar to London Gatwick with Air India was cancelled at the airport one hour before departure due to airline technical issues. This happened in early April.

The airline booked my parents on an alternative flight direct to Birmingham the following day but refused to provide hotel accommodation. They said we can either have a hotel for the night and fly back to LGW on the next available flight to be confirmed or we can have the BHX flight and come back tomorrow and stay somewhere at our own expense.

Does anybody know what the compensation law is on a flight from India to the UK? I gather there is compensation for flights in the EU but not sure what our rights are for this specific journey?

Thanks in advance for any advice 

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NJ69x said:
    Hi guys my parents return flight direct from Amritsar to London Gatwick with Air India was cancelled at the airport one hour before departure due to airline technical issues. This happened in early April.

The airline booked my parents on an alternative flight direct to Birmingham the following day but refused to provide hotel accommodation. They said we can either have a hotel for the night and fly back to LGW on the next available flight to be confirmed or we can have the BHX flight and come back tomorrow and stay somewhere at our own expense.

Does anybody know what the compensation law is on a flight from India to the UK? I gather there is compensation for flights in the EU but not sure what our rights are for this specific journey?

Thanks in advance for any advice 
    EU rights are not available in this situation (a non-EU airline departing from a non-EU country): any rights that they might have would depend on Indian law.

Air India is famous for this kind of problem, so it was surely not much of a surprise. 
  • NJ69x
    NJ69x Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You're right air India are terrible, unfortunately they were the cheapest tickets by quite a large difference so my parents used them. I doubt Indian law will be of much help to the consumer so we will leave it and move on
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Travel Insurance might cover any expenses incurred depending on the policy. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback