Shaving off the years at Sleepy Hollow

Options
Finally after YEARS of talking about moving DH and I have done the big move. We've significantly increased our mortgage and started off on a 34 year term to give us some breathing space for a larger mortgage payment.

We're aiming to reduce our term to 20 by making regular overpayments. Interested to read along and see what everyone else is doing to pay off their mortgages early! 
Debt Free as of December 2020 👏

Save 12k in 2024 #35

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,632 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 May at 3:07PM
    Options
    Happy new diary and the best of luck with your plans. 

We did a lot of visual stuff - a graph of the house in bricks (£25/£100 etc) which worked well in the takeaway or overpay £25 and colour in a brick sense. 
  • CreditCardJunkie
    CreditCardJunkie Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy new diary and the best of luck with your plans. 

We did a lot of visual stuff - a graph of the house in bricks (£25/£100 etc) which worked well in the takeaway or overpay £25 and colour in a brick sense. 
    Thank you!! Ohh how did you create this??

Save 12k in 2024 #35
  • CreditCardJunkie
    CreditCardJunkie Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Toying with lots of different ideas of overpaying on the mortgage.

We're in our 30s with 2 young children. We want to enjoy life but also not still be paying our mortgage in our late 60s. How do you all find the balance for this? A family member paid of their mortgage early but lived very very frugally for 30 years.

We're also trying to work out if we're better to build savings for the children (for their own house deposit one day) or overpay that off our mortgage so we will be in a better position to help when they are nearing that stage?

Save 12k in 2024 #35
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We did ours in excel, different colour bricks for different amounts and a vague approximation of the house. It really worked for us. 

The joy of overpaying for us was paying lower rates later on as the LTV dropped and we got the better rates. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback