Planning permission installation of side window on 1st floor.

Options
A neighbour is seeking approval for the above and the reason it's required is because it overlooks my property. It would have a clear view of my downstairs obscured but opening toilet / washroom window which for much of the day can be part open as it's also ventilation for the hall. Also some garden area and currently private access path to the rear. 

Being obscured is fine but the new proposed window is in a bathroom so should this turn out to be an opening window (it's not marked non opening) does that stand any ground as far as objecting goes?  Once open, in the position it is, obscured glass will make no difference and so when using any of the facilities, washroom, garden area and path etc., all can be observed. 
Yeah, cheers but nah, I will stick with yes,  thank you and no. 

Thank you. 

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How close to your boundary is it?
    If you are going to accept it (not challenge it), insist it is both obscured and non-opening. 
    And make sure you have Legal Protection included in your house policy in any this, or a subsequent, neighbour tries to change it in future.
    And also consider a nice frondy tree planted along there - even if folk cannot view out through this window, they can often feel oppressive.
  • savit4l8er
    savit4l8er Posts: 305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 May at 10:37AM
    Options
    If you are going to accept it (not challenge it), insist it is both obscured and non-opening. 
    And make sure you have Legal Protection included in your house policy in any this, or a subsequent, neighbour tries to change it in future.
    And also consider a nice frondy tree planted along there - even if folk cannot view out through this window, they can often feel oppressive.
    Hi, thank you for help. There is about 4.5 meters between boundary and proposed window, about another meter across to my window.  I aim to have a chat with the planning department because the plans do not mention opening or not ( I expect it's opening for that reason) but I would want non opening.  I likely I will have to submit an objection to ensure everything is done correctly, I don't see the point in asking the applicant, it could be changed as you say. I know this must be done by the cut off date for objecting. 

Unfortunately no room for the tree, it would block paths but a nice idea. 

Thank you. 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,006 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May at 11:17AM
    Options
    because the plans do not mention opening or not

If there is a drawing it should show if the window is opening, there will be diagonal lines across the pane joining at the hinge.

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Split frame with a small top opener shouldn't be a problem.
    Once a window is inserted in to the wall, there is nothing to stop it from being replaced with a full frame opener in the future.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • savit4l8er
    Options
    molerat said:
    because the plans do not mention opening or not

If there is a drawing it should show if the window is opening, there will be diagonal lines across the pane joining at the hinge.

That would seem very logical.  However, there is other work being done and none of the windows have any lines on the drawing, but they will definitely be opening so it would have drawn my attention to it.  The drawing is done by a professional, maybe there are more thorough details available than what I  seeing, my chat with planning might enlighten me. Thank you for that suggestion, if the lines should be there, it looks a bit poor or perhaps thought out. 🤔

Thank you. 
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 May at 11:36AM
    Options
    Let me get this right. 

You have an obscured, opening window in a toilet but you don't want your neighbour to have an obscured, opening window in a bathroom?  

It's permitted development for them to have an obscured non-opening window.  

Both non-inhabited rooms. Both windows would have to be open at appropriate angles for anyone to see anyone else, both rooms would have to be being used at the same time and both windows left uncovered.  

It's a bit of an extreme reach to object on the grounds of privacy.  

Has no one heard of window coverings?  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Doozergirl
    edited 5 May at 11:39AM
    Options
    It's the planning department's job to enforce any breach of planning, no one else's.  

Legal protection isn't going to do anything.  It isn't a panacea that covers all minor gripes with your neighbours.  
  • savit4l8er
    edited 5 May at 12:47PM
    Options
    Let me get this right. 

You have an obscured, opening window in a toilet but you don't want your neighbour to have an obscured, opening window in a bathroom?  

Both non-inhabited rooms. Both windows would have to be open at appropriate angles for anyone to see anyone else, both rooms would have to be being used at the same time and both windows left uncovered.  

Interesting that non opening is permitted though, that suggests it won't be as planning is being sought.

As for non inhabited, technically yes, the funny thing about that is, these are multi bedroom properties, the window being planned is because of a new bathroom being fitted to that already at build the other side of the property. If it's anything like our bathroom, you almost have to book it.
    Makes no difference but in reality, it's inhabited a good few hours a day. 😂

One could use the window covering idea, there is a blind in there but if there is the slightest breeze, whatever is in there extended clatters around, currently it's fully private no matter what. 

I will just add that when I say a clear view in the op, the window will be directly in line so the angles you mention are somewhat irrelevant, a gap is a gap. 

Thank you. 
  • Doozergirl
    edited 5 May at 1:06PM
    Options
    Let me get this right. 

Interesting that non opening is permitted though, that suggests it won't be as planning is being sought.

As for non inhabited, technically yes, the funny thing about that is, these are multi bedroom properties, the window being planned is because of a new bathroom being fitted to that already at build the other side of the property. If it's anything like our bathroom, you almost have to book it.

One could use the window covering idea, there is a blind in there but if there is the slightest breeze, whatever is in there extended clatters around, currently it's fully private no matter what. 

I will just add that when I say a clear view in the op, the window will be directly in line so the angles you mention are somewhat irrelevant, a gap is a gap. 
    Jut remember that your neighbour will be able to see your complaint on the planning portal.  

You need to weigh up whether the inconvenience of someone maybe being able to see something sometimes is worth risking neighbourly relations for. Give and take is required.  

The planning officer also knows what their job is, neighbours have virtually no sway in the decision anyway so it often just causes unnecessary stress to both parties.    The decision will be the decision. 

• savit4l8er
    edited 5 May at 1:22PM
    Options
    Let me get this right. 

Jut remember that your neighbour will be able to see your complaint on the planning portal.  

You need to weigh up whether the inconvenience of someone maybe being able to see something sometimes is worth risking neighbourly relations for. Give and take is required.  

The planning officer also knows what their job is, neighbours have virtually no sway in the decision anyway so it often just causes unnecessary stress to both parties.    The decision will be the decision. 

There's no problem with the neighbours, I don't know them but conversely, they did not mention anything to me.  Out of interest, without being advised by an objection, how will the officer be aware?

I've never been in this position before, there is far more work taking place, I would prefer it otherwise but I am not attempting to object to it. 
    I don't feel objecting to the window "opening" not the window itself is such a big deal really, if it was the other way round and I wanted the window, I wouldn't have just put planning in, I would feel uneasy but some want it all and just take what they can.

I know recently a relative and others on their street objected to a single story with a balcony behind them, that was ultimately declined, do you think the neighbours had no bearing on that, in which case there is no point in objecting.  

I understand the give and take bit though, they are just taking a lot that is not listed here. 

Thank you. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure