PIP renewal back payment.

Options
My health has deteriorated since my claim to PIP. 

I currently get Mobility Enhanced only.

I’ve sent off my renewal with the assistance of an advisor and advocate. 

I put my renewal in with my medical evidence last August. 

If I were to get Care component of PIP at any rate is it back dated to my renewal date back in August? 

I’ve been periodically calling to see if it’s on a desk of a case worker but at this moment it’s still in the cue in the system for allocation to a case worker. 

I was informed that renewals were on hold until recently and there’s currently a 2 year backlog for the DWP to get through, not to hold my breath for an allocation within 12 - 18 months!

I digress, do they back date to my renewal in August or date of decision when ever that maybe 🤔?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The waiting times for review decisions are exceptionally long but I wouldn't say they are as long as 2 years. Some are waiting about a year though. 

Normally, if it's a review started by DWP then the changes will take place from when the decision was made. However, due to the delays of review decisions, I have known for people to have their award backdated to an earlier date so are owed some money. This is the discretion of the decision maker. 

Some members may disagree but I'm only telling you what I know, in fact it recently happened to someone I personally know.
  • T.T.D
    T.T.D Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The waiting times for review decisions are exceptionally long but I wouldn't say they are as long as 2 years. Some are waiting about a year though. 

Normally, if it's a review started by DWP then the changes will take place from when the decision was made. However, due to the delays of review decisions, I have known for people to have their award backdated to an earlier date so are owed some money. This is the discretion of the decision maker. 

Some members may disagree but I'm only telling you what I know, in fact it recently happened to someone I personally know.
    Thank you Poppy. 

I would have thought that when informing the DWP of change in health condition in a renewal application that payments would have dated back to then and not the date a decision is made now because that’s when the notification of a change occurred and it’s not our fault the DWP are year behind themselves but it’s the government an policies I suppose. 

It was a DWP call handler who said that there is currently 2 year backlog so as you said a wait of 12 months is seemingly the lead in time to get round to current renewal applications. 

I’ve just had a 12 month renewal letter through the door yesterday afternoon (post sucks in my area).  

I currently get mobility 12points for moving around. But the decision makers on my case felt that I fell short for any Care needs. This was a transition from DLA to PIP in the years where there was no case law to fall back on as cases were heard in the high court at the time. 

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Reporting changes refers to you ringing them to report them and they then send a form to fill in and return. Reporting changes in the form is different. 
  • Danien
    Danien Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had my appeal decision backdated to when the review form was due in. Decision took a year and then the appeal time. There is some legislation on it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback