Password Protecting External Hard Drives - how to?

Options
DIYhelp76
DIYhelp76 Posts: 257 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi

I back up to two USB external hard drives:
Seagate FreeAgent Go Flex and 
Western Digital My Passport

What is the best/easiest way to password protect these external drives? And perhaps with a way to recover a password if lost etc?

I copy over all contents of my laptop to these. There is one main folder with loads of sub-folders. The total GB is very high 343GB

It is not all sensitive data, but in case the hard drive is every lost, I'd like its contents to be safeguarded.

On Google I discovered I can create a "zipped folder" and apply a password to that.  Is that a good way?

Many thx in advance

Comments

• DIYhelp76
    Options
    I do have Windows10 Pro and Bitlocker and found a video saying I can use Bitlocker to apply encryption and password to the external drive.  Would this be an option - or is there a better option?

The only concern I have is what if any new laptop I have doesn't have Bitlocker - how would I be able to open the contents of the protected external drive?

Thx again.
  • DIYhelp76
    Options
    My only concern about using Bitlocker is that I use that currently on my laptop and it recently went into a "Bitlocker loop" where it crashed and wouldn't allow me access until I had tried repeated recovery options.  So I'm now a bit wary of Bitlocker.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You could try using VeraCrypt and create an encrypted partition on the drive. 
    You could add a clue to the password in a separate file on the unencrypted portion of the disk or even in the disk label.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • TMSG
    TMSG Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    +1 for VeraCrypt. This application is proven, well-supported and secure (if sensible passwords are used :smile: ). And it's available for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux so you could directly use your external HDs with those systems (eg a friend's Linux PC, or perhaps you yourself switching to a Mac or Linux).

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The mypassport supports password protection.

You have to install the support programme to set the initial password (You can set it when the drive has data on).

I have a couple of these drives, I certainly removed the password with them full, so I can't see why you can't set it.

In my head I have this fantasy that they are hardware encrypted.

I uninstalled the WD utility as soon as I had used it, it insists on loading at startup, and I didn't like that...

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback