PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Public foul gravity sewer directly under house help please

Options
13»

Comments

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I wonder whether that sewer location pre-dates the houses being built in Pinewood Close and the sewer was actually diverted before the road was constructed by the mapping information for the sewer never got updated.
    Certainly, today, the developer would not be permitted to construct without diverting the sewer first.
    As I suggested upthread, there's probably a good chance the true route is more complicated than the dot-to-dot plan shows - for example there could be another chamber in each of the front gardens of 10 and 1 so the pipe runs under what I assume are garages with a dog-leg between them.

Another possibility is the sewer is deep - 600mm concrete pipes could be jacked or installed in heading - in which case there may be less concern about building over them.

There is another possibility that the large diameter pipes were installed for storage as part of a flood relief scheme - the size doesn't always equate to how important the sewer is.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Section62 said:
    I wonder whether that sewer location pre-dates the houses being built in Pinewood Close and the sewer was actually diverted before the road was constructed by the mapping information for the sewer never got updated.
    Certainly, today, the developer would not be permitted to construct without diverting the sewer first.
    As I suggested upthread, there's probably a good chance the true route is more complicated than the dot-to-dot plan shows - for example there could be another chamber in each of the front gardens of 10 and 1 so the pipe runs under what I assume are garages with a dog-leg between them.

Another possibility is the sewer is deep - 600mm concrete pipes could be jacked or installed in heading - in which case there may be less concern about building over them.

There is another possibility that the large diameter pipes were installed for storage as part of a flood relief scheme - the size doesn't always equate to how important the sewer is.

If it’s deep, does that reduce the chance of something going wrong with the sewer? 

If it’s a trunk sewer, and bear in mind that the diameter increases a bit further along, is it even possible to divert it? Whilst the works are taking place, what happens to all the contents that normally flow through? And installing a dog leg would significantly reduce throughput, perhaps? 

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • jojoxxx2001
    jojoxxx2001 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May at 2:39PM
    Options
    Thanks all will definitely look into everything suggested.

The area isn't hilly ...I didn't even notice the manhole !!! The field at the bottom of the garden are school playing fields so maybe provide access ..but definitely will look into deeds

The estate is probably around 1970 build
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Section62 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Worth knowing where it is exactly because of potential future developments.  When we had our extension built 12 years ago the building inspector had quite a few conditions relating to the sewer if it stayed where it was but recommended the best course was to move it out of the new property line so it would be under the new patio not under the bungalow.  Cost about an extra £1000 I believe. 
    You can do that with your own drains, but can you do it with a public sewer?
    You can ask the sewerage undertaker to divert a public sewer - they may agree to allow you to do the work yourself, or may want to do the work and bill you for it.  In a few cases (mainly with major or trunk sewers) there isn't an option to divert.

But it is usually an expensive business, and on a domestic scale the costs can easily be out of all proportion to the value of the property.
    Looking at the drawing there doesn't same to be any room within the property boundary to divert also you would be extending the run of the sewer and might have insufficient fall in the sewer
    4 inch sewer max 1in 40 fall
    6 inch sewer max I in 60 fall
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    35har1old said:
    Section62 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Worth knowing where it is exactly because of potential future developments.  When we had our extension built 12 years ago the building inspector had quite a few conditions relating to the sewer if it stayed where it was but recommended the best course was to move it out of the new property line so it would be under the new patio not under the bungalow.  Cost about an extra £1000 I believe. 
    You can do that with your own drains, but can you do it with a public sewer?
    You can ask the sewerage undertaker to divert a public sewer - they may agree to allow you to do the work yourself, or may want to do the work and bill you for it.  In a few cases (mainly with major or trunk sewers) there isn't an option to divert.

But it is usually an expensive business, and on a domestic scale the costs can easily be out of all proportion to the value of the property.
    Looking at the drawing there doesn't same to be any room within the property boundary to divert also you would be extending the run of the sewer and might have insufficient fall in the sewer
    As I said, "In a few cases (mainly with major or trunk sewers) there isn't an option to divert".  The size of the pipe in this case suggests that it is a strategic or trunk sewer so diversion would be less likely to be feasible than in the average domestic setting.

There is no reason why the diversion has to be "within the property boundary", although in this case the options are limited by the density of the housing development.  If the diversion needs to be outside the property boundary then as a statutory undertaker the water company has powers to acquire rights to lay the diverted sewer in other land.

But diversion of this sewer (even if it were necessary) is unlikely to be feasible as the work may end up costing more than the house is worth.

35har1old said:

4 inch sewer max 1in 40 fall
    6 inch sewer max I in 60 fall
    These are falls for small diameter pipes.  The pipe under this property is 600mm (24") going into 675mm (27").

The minimum falls on small diameter pipes are set to provide for self-cleansing velocity given the intermittent flow found in small-diameter foul sewers.

For larger diameter pipes being used in normal circumstances the considerations are different.  You would expect the flow in a 600mm pipe to be continuous and even in dry weather for it to be flowing at half-bore or more.  Depending on the pipe material, SCV could potentially be achieved with falls in the region of 1:1000.  There is a fair bit less sensitivity to reduced falls when dealing with sewers of this kind of diameter and probable flow rate. So the limiting factor on whether a diversion was feasible is unlikely to be the available fall.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure