PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Public foul gravity sewer directly under house help please

Options
Hi
looking for some advice if possible.
the property we are buying I have found out today has a public foul gravity sewer directly under it.
I'm aware they are often running through gardens but have read is much more rare under the house itself.
I'm now concerned as what if it cracks under the house?
will it effect my house insurance costs?
Would anyone avoid buying? Should I be paying the same price for the property?
Will it effect future saleability?
Thanks in advance for help

Comments

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi
    looking for some advice if possible.
    the property we are buying I have found out today has a public foul gravity sewer directly under it.
    I'm aware they are often running through gardens but have read is much more rare under the house itself.
    I'm now concerned as what if it cracks under the house?
    will it effect my house insurance costs?
    Would anyone avoid buying? Should I be paying the same price for the property?
    Will it effect future saleability?

Drainage plans are not always very accurate.  I'd think it more likely the pipe runs along the side of the house, under the garage (or whatever the bit on the side is).

Have you or your surveyor been able to locate the upstream and downstream manholes?

• jojoxxx2001
    jojoxxx2001 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you 
    Would this type of sewer have the standard style square manhole covers.?
    We didn't notice when viewing but will go and see today if we can see anything from the front.
    This report landed on a bank holiday Friday afternoon leaving us worrying without access to our conveyancer etc
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You probably can't do much on your own, you would need a pair of T handles to insert to lift a drain cover off to have a look, do you have those?

Even if it does not pass directly under the house, it is something to be aware of because it might well scupper any plans of extending the house in the future.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

will it affect my house insurance costs?

No, insurers don't ask about this sort of thing.
  • Section62
    Options
    Thank you 
    Would this type of sewer have the standard style square manhole covers.?
    We didn't notice when viewing but will go and see today if we can see anything from the front.
    This report landed on a bank holiday Friday afternoon leaving us worrying without access to our conveyancer etc
    Unfortunately they could be round, square, rectangular, triangular, pentagonal or hexagonal.  But they are more likely to be cast or ductile iron rather than any other type of material.

In most cases the public sewer records have been created by surveying the manholes and making educated guesses about how they connect together.  Sometimes there can be additional (hidden or otherwise missed) manholes located between a pair, so the assumed straight-line connection between two surveyed manholes may turn out to be something very different in reality.  Coupled with the positions of manholes not being plotted correctly it is easy for cases like yours to occur where the assumed line is not really the logical route for the sewer to take.

Sometimes public sewers do run under buildings, but in most cases I've come across a situation like yours turns out to be a survey/plotting error.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suppose the OP still needs an answer whether to continue with the purchase if it does turn out that the sewer runs under the house. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GrannyKate
    GrannyKate Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Worth knowing where it is exactly because of potential future developments.  When we had our extension built 12 years ago the building inspector had quite a few conditions relating to the sewer if it stayed where it was but recommended the best course was to move it out of the new property line so it would be under the new patio not under the bungalow.  Cost about an extra £1000 I believe. 
    2024 Decluttering Campaign 589/2024 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️
    2024 Weight loss target 0/28 lbs
    2024 1p challenge 131/366 days Total £121.92

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Worth knowing where it is exactly because of potential future developments.  When we had our extension built 12 years ago the building inspector had quite a few conditions relating to the sewer if it stayed where it was but recommended the best course was to move it out of the new property line so it would be under the new patio not under the bungalow.  Cost about an extra £1000 I believe. 
    You can do that with your own drains, but can you do it with a public sewer?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GrannyKate
    GrannyKate Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure where the distinction lies.  On our land but connected to houses either side as well.
    2024 Decluttering Campaign 589/2024 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️
    2024 Weight loss target 0/28 lbs
    2024 1p challenge 131/366 days Total £121.92

• Section62
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    You can do that with your own drains, but can you do it with a public sewer?
    You can ask the sewerage undertaker to divert a public sewer - they may agree to allow you to do the work yourself, or may want to do the work and bill you for it.  In a few cases (mainly with major or trunk sewers) there isn't an option to divert.

But it is usually an expensive business, and on a domestic scale the costs can easily be out of all proportion to the value of the property.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback