Marital Status

Options
arashtrip
arashtrip Posts: 60 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi

I am a bit confused as we applied for a divorce months ago and now I received an insurance renewal pack. Last year I declared myself as a married but now I am not sure what to do as we are in the process of a divorce and the car is parked at the same address.

Government and some legal websites say that we are still married before the final order. So, should I leave my marital status as married or I need to tell them that we are separated?

It seems separated is for those who are legally separated.

Comments

• Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Call the insurance company and ask, that way your answer will be 100% correct.

• arashtrip
    arashtrip Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 May at 7:50AM
    Options
    Call the insurance company and ask, that way your answer will be 100% correct.

Then they would not ask why you did not tell us before and then make the insurance void? Honestly, I did not know whether I need to inform them or not and actually forgot about it due to a lot of stress because of this divorce.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP, you're married. That will only change when your divorce becomes final. Or the marriage is annulled.

Until then, there's nothing to tell your insurer.
  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Then they would not ask why you did not tell us before and then make the insurance void? 

Yo only need to tell them about changes to your circumstances between renewals if your policy conditions say that you must. In any case, your circumstances have not changed. You are still married until the court grants your decree absolute.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback