Spare wheel and TPMS on new cars

Options
Monanore
Monanore Posts: 20 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper
It looks like if I want a new car these days I can’t have a spare wheel or even a space-saver. 
Are there any small to medium cars that still offer one ?
What experience has anyone had with the various types of kit - which are best and which should be avoided ? 
It also seems that on a smaller car which I now need It won’t have tpms. This has saved me from wheel changes 3 times by warning me of a puncture early enough to get to help.  Does anyone know about  cars which have some other warning system ?
Thanks.

Comments

• sparklymarkly
    sparklymarkly Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Some manufacturers offer a spare wheel kit as an option at extra cost.
    I bought one for mine - space saver wheel, jack, compressor etc all in a polystyrene shell that fitted nicely in the boot well.
    Not had cause to use it yet (& hopefully won’t) but reassuring to know it’s there just in case.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Pretty sure TPMS is now standard although some systems use the ABS to compare wheel rotation rates rather than having dedicated sending units in each wheel.
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    TPMS has been a legal requirement on all new cars since 2014.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Spares may not be fitted as standard, but offered as an option.  If they are optional negotiate provision as one as part of the deal (I have done so on my last two vehicles), if they aren't an option I'm not interested in the vehicle.

I had two punctures a week apart a few weeks ago.  Without a spare I'd have been stranded on both occasions.
  • clive0510
    clive0510 Posts: 819 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depending on what car you are buying, a main dealer should be able to tell you from the vehicle details if a spare wheel kit is available for that vehicle. there have been some cases of people ordering a spare wheel, only to find that the vehicle has no spare wheel well to store it. so they end up with it in the boot. just beware of that. 
    as for the tpms as someone else said, all modern cars should have this fitted as standard.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For the one car that we bought that didn't have a spare wheel  we bought one.

Didn't help when we burst two tyres on a pothole.

The breakdown driver told us he would be called out to cars with a flat tyre  where they  had used one of these kits and would see the stuff running down the road as the damage was too much for it to seal.
  • Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I driven cars with run-flat tyres for the last few years.  It's a harder ride as they are stiffer, they also cost a little more.  However in the event of a puncture you can drive safely so long as you do not exceed 50mph.  Gets you to the nearest tyre fitter.

Kind Regards,

Bill
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think the spare needs any TPMS system, and it'll mess up any ABS system until reset. But the idea of the spare is to get you home / to a tyre place for a replacement, it's not intended for long term use.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Billxx said:
    I driven cars with run-flat tyres for the last few years.  It's a harder ride as they are stiffer, they also cost a little more.  However in the event of a puncture you can drive safely so long as you do not exceed 50mph.  Gets you to the nearest tyre fitter.
    And when you get there you have to buy 2 new tyres not just one !!!
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Billxx said:
    And when you get there you have to buy 2 new tyres not just one !!!

Why 2?

They make you buy another runflat, as they always wave their hands in the air and say "You ran on it when it was flat? That has wrecked the tyre and we can't repair it!", but what is the second one for?
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback