Joint account help/ideas needed

Options
For various reasons I need to open a joint account, Starling fits the bill but I have had an account with them in the past and foolishly shut it down which means I can't open another one. I would appreciate any input as perhaps someone will give me an idea I haven't thought of, having looked at all the other banks I can't find anyone offering a joint account with all the bells and whistles of Starling. 

Comments

• Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What about Monzo? They have a similar sort of offering to Starling. They don't pay interest but they do have cashback offers. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For various reasons I need to open a joint account, Starling fits the bill but I have had an account with them in the past and foolishly shut it down which means I can't open another one. I would appreciate any input as perhaps someone will give me an idea I haven't thought of, having looked at all the other banks I can't find anyone offering a joint account with all the bells and whistles of Starling
    What specifically about Starling's proposition are you looking to replicate elsewhere? 
  • Purpleheart
    Purpleheart Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 May at 9:18AM
    Options
    I did think about Monzo but don't want to open 2 sole accounts, plus I've previously had an account with them. 

The bells and whistles I would like (in no particular order) are interest, fee free spending abroad, pots, a card that isn't navy, instant notifications on a mobile and spending habits tracking. 

I massively regret closing my original Starling account 😪
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 May at 8:34PM
    Options
    Starling and Monzo are the only banks that offer pots as far as I'm aware. I don't why others don't as they are incredibly useful and greatly simplify budgeting. 
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For various reasons I need to open a joint account, Starling fits the bill but I have had an account with them in the past and foolishly shut it down which means I can't open another one. I would appreciate any input as perhaps someone will give me an idea I haven't thought of, having looked at all the other banks I can't find anyone offering a joint account with all the bells and whistles of Starling. 
    Not sure why you believe this?

I had a Starling account purely for a switching bonus, switched it away and around 18 months later opened a Starling account fine (they still had the details) and created a joint account with my partner. If it was 3 months ago then maybe not but it seems to be 12 months, maybe a bit longer, before they let you apply again
  • Purpleheart
    Purpleheart Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's good to know thanks. It says in the FAQ that you can't open an account if you've previously held one but I will apply and see if I can open another. I will need to get my OH to open an account though before we can get a joint account and they don't like any banking faff! 

• Nasqueron
    Options
    That's good to know thanks. It says in the FAQ that you can't open an account if you've previously held one but I will apply and see if I can open another. I will need to get my OH to open an account though before we can get a joint account and they don't like any banking faff! 

It's safer for you to try and open it first, then worry about a second account for the joint one, that was how we did it.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    Not sure why you believe this?

I had a Starling account purely for a switching bonus, switched it away and around 18 months later opened a Starling account fine (they still had the details) and created a joint account with my partner. If it was 3 months ago then maybe not but it seems to be 12 months, maybe a bit longer, before they let you apply again
    Tried to open a Starling current account this week. As @Nasqueron, I had a previous account, opened 10/22, just to switch elsewhere a month later. My online account was still active, my application was declined. 

The algorithms are mysterious. 
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This has been on their FAQ for a few months now. I would call them and ask whether they can manually approve the application.

• Nasqueron
    Options
    I checked the dates just in case it's useful
    Account was open 29/7/22, switch out was started 1/9/22 and completed 13/9/22 
    Managed to log back in and start using it again in January this year so 15 months or so
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback