Honda dealership issue - car fault whilst under warranty

Options
Jvj24601
Jvj24601 Posts: 44 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post

I purchased a used Honda in Feb 2023 from a Honda dealership. It came with 12 months Honda warranty.  

On several occasions between October 2023 and January 2024 the car lost power and cut out.

The AA were called and advised that their diagnostics indicated a fuel pressure problem and turbo fault. 

In January 2024, I called the dealership and detailed the problem. 

I was advised to take the vehicle to a different dealership that was closer to me, which I did. I informed them of the nature of the issue (loss of power and cutting out).  I also informed them of the AA diagnostic which mentioned both turbo and fuel pressure and asked them if they wanted a copy of the report. 

The dealership declined the offer of a copy of the AA report and ran their own diagnostic. 

The car remained with them for a period of approximately three months as they couldn’t get the parts (a turbo). 

The car was then returned to me (by which time the warranty had expired). 

Seven days later the same fault occurred - loss of power and cutting out. The AA were called and again the diagnostic stated fuel pressure. 

When I called the original dealership they informed me that I would have to pay £150 for a diagnostic or that I could take it to the other dealership where it went for repairs. 

The dealership where it went for repairs have said that if it’s not related to the repair then they will charge me £150 for diagnostic. 

It looks like the “repair” they did changing the turbo is fine, but that’s not what was causing the problem. I didn’t take it in with a turbo issue. I took it in with a lot of power and cutting out issue, which remains. 

According to the AA diagnostics, most likely caused by a fuel pressure fault.  

The issue is, they haven’t solved the fault. They have replaced the turbo, but it looks like that wasn’t what was actually causing the problem. 

Although the car is no longer under warranty, the fault (loss of power and cutting out) was present whilst under warranty and has not been fixed. 

What recourse do I have? 

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There was a fault with the car that happened within the warranty period.  You asked for the fault to be rectified and this has not been done.  I suggest you take the issue up with the Honda warranty people
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't seem to have any protection under the Consumer Rights Act as you need to prove that the fault with the fuel pressure was there when you bougght the car. As the car didn't start misbehaving until Octobber 2023, I don't see how you could do so.

Sorry, but I think that advice from Mark_d is the best you can do. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Jvj24601
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    You don't seem to have any protection under the Consumer Rights Act as you need to prove that the fault with the fuel pressure was there when you bougght the car. As the car didn't start misbehaving until Octobber 2023, I don't see how you could do so.

Thank you for this. If that’s the case, then fair enough, but what would be the point of the warranty then? Is the warranty not there for things like this?
  • Jvj24601
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    There was a fault with the car that happened within the warranty period.  You asked for the fault to be rectified and this has not been done.  I suggest you take the issue up with the Honda warranty people
    Yes, that’s we where we are at the moment. Honda seem really helpful actually. Thank you! 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jvj24601 said:
    tacpot12 said:

Thank you for this. If that’s the case, then fair enough, but what would be the point of the warranty then? Is the warranty not there for things like this?
    Warranty cover is as described in the T/C. Which often do not cover everything or for the full length of the warranty & maybe subject to car being serviced as per manufactures schedule.
    So in effect a warranty is over & above your legal consumer rights & subject to manufactures T/C. Not a get general cover all out of jail free card. 👍
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure