Topping up Pension in Drawdown

Options
My Partner retired 2 years go (aged 60) with a good DB scheme and a cluster of small SC schemes that I consolidated into Pension Bee ( a further DB scheme start paying out in 3 yrs time )

She is a std rate tax payer

The PensionBee fund  we drawdown sums, as needed (25% tax free, 75% taxed)

In the last 2 previous year we have topped up the PensionBee account by the £2880 to give an extra £3600 (due to the tax relief) - the max allowed

Is my understanding  that this limit has now been increased to £10K
(So could invest £8000 into PensionBee and get £2000 "Tax back" to give us the £10K) 

Thanks 

(I have a 2nd unrelated Qu but that will be another thread) 

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,667 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gubs113 said:
    My Partner retired 2 years go (aged 60) with a good DB scheme and a cluster of small SC schemes that I consolidated into Pension Bee ( a further DB scheme start paying out in 3 yrs time )

She is a std rate tax payer

The PensionBee fund  we drawdown sums, as needed (25% tax free, 75% taxed)

In the last 2 previous year we have topped up the PensionBee account by the £2880 to give an extra £3600 (due to the tax relief) - the max allowed

Is my understanding  that this limit has now been increased to £10K No - that is not correct
    (So could invest £8000 into PensionBee and get £2000 "Tax back" to give us the £10K) 

Hi

the limit is still £3600 gross for non earners. The MPAA changed to £10k a while ago but that is not relevant to this situation.
    To contribute £10k they must have £10k earned (not pension) income
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is my understanding  that this limit has now been increased to £10K

No.  The MPAA, the amount you can contribute after withdrawing taxable amounts from a DC scheme, has been increased to £10K provided you have sufficient relevant earned income.  The nil income rate is still £3600, £2880 net.

• Gubs113
    Gubs113 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OK cheers  - another £2880 it is then (as she doesn't earn any income) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback