PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Nationwide Undervaluation

Options
Good morning, 

I have had continuous back and forth between myself and the valuation team at Nationwide.

I have had an offer accepted on a flat for £285k. The vendor is set on this price and will not negotiate further.  

However, the property has been valued at £260K, making Nationwide unable to offer any higher than £260k. The bank are allowing me to borrow £156k and put down a deposit of £104k and recommend putting down an additional £25k in cash to pay for the remainder of the house. 

Fortunately due to excess cash, this is something that I will be able to do, however, is this something that is done often? I'm concerned that the sale may fall through because of this. 

I am a FTB so a little unsure on the buying process. Unfortunately my solicitors aren't being very helpful and are failing to provide an update to my queries, and I have come to the MSE forum for some advice. 

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you have all the cash then you'll be fine.

As long as the loan meets the LTV the bank accept then there is not a problem.

However, you appear to be paying £25k over the asking price, I know you say the vendor is set - but would they still be set if you thought about walking away - have you asked the EA to make the vendor aware of the situation?

Could save you a few grand if nothing else.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I have had an offer accepted on a flat for £285k. The vendor is set on this price and will not negotiate further.  

Then the choice is yours to proceed or walk away. Don't become emotionally engaged. This is  business transaction. There'll be other properties come along. 
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If the flat is still worth £285k to you then put the extra towards it.

If not, renegotiate or walk away.
  • ReadySteadyPop
    ReadySteadyPop Posts: 184 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gazfocus said:
    I would be more concerned that if nationwide have valued the flat at £260k, and you are still paying £285k, you are paying way over the odds for the flat so you have to think about a) how much you really want the flat and b) whether you can afford the eventual lower resale value when you come to sell.
    Good advice.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 3 May at 4:46PM
    Options
    Interesting you regard the Nationwide figure as an undervaluation, rather than the buyer asking for an overvaluation...

Do you believe £285K is a fair value, given what other similar properties nearby have sold for?
  • ReadySteadyPop
    ReadySteadyPop Posts: 184 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Interesting you regard the Nationwide figure as an undervaluation, rather than the buyer asking for an overvaluation...

Do you believe £285K is a fair value, given what other similar properties nearby have sold for?
    Exactly, it is just a "valuation" according to that lender, depending on interest rates and market conditions the next valuation could be even lower.
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What have similar properties sold at (and when?)
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you question Nationwide as to why their figure differed from that that the vendor wanted? 

We had a similar thing when we were trying to sell MiL's flat and the bank (might have been Natwest?) said it wasn't worth anything like what the EA had priced it at.  When asked we were told for a purpose built flat in a new build was it was in pretty rough shape , didn't have a lift that would have been expected in a new build, etc etc.  We pointed out that the flat was in fact in a converted Victorian vicarage, that it was built more than a century earlier and the conversion was done in the early 1980s.  They wouldn't budge on the fact that they had got it wrong and their computer was looking for the building next door with the same post code.  

Or maybe the EA overvalued the place you want and the vendor is sticking to that.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    gazfocus said:
    I would be more concerned that if nationwide have valued the flat at £260k, and you are still paying £285k, you are paying way over the odds 
    I wouldn't say it was way over the odds. Split the difference and it's £272.5k +/- 4.6%. The minimum usual margin of error for valuations is 5%.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback